Acadian Flycatcher & more at Ledges SP

Doug & Nina Harr

Jun 14, 2024, 11:46:23 AMJun 14
to IA-Bird ListServe
After getting home yesterday from a birding trip through NE and SD, I headed  to Ledges State Park this morning to see what birds might be found.  My best luck was again the Lost Lake Trail, where I had a singing Wood Thrush, at least 2 Scarlet Tanagers, and best of all was an Acadian Flycatcher perched right above the trail about 50 yards before reaching Lost Lake.  It kept moving around (& saying "pi-zzah") a lot, but finally landed in the perfect place for getting photos.  I managed to get several shots including this attached portrait, while also being bitten by many mosquitos (but it was worth the itch).

Just a side note about the other attached photo, taken in South Dakota this week, not Iowa.  It was worth watching 2 American Avocets dancing around near my car, on a road through the Maga Ta- Hophi Waterfowl Production Area, a few miles west of Huron, SD.  They put on quite a show for me!

Doug Harr
Ogden
Acadian Flycatcher.Ledges SP.6-14-24.DCH.jpg
American Avocet.SD.6-11.24.DCH.jpg