Yellow crowned night heron, Appanoose county

Eli Kenyon

Jul 8, 2024, 10:06:20 PMJul 8
to IA-BIRD
Took this afternoon with my parents to drive down to Exline to try and catch the yellow crowned night herons that have been hanging out. After an hour of walking around and watching turkey vultures and yellow breasted chats the yellow crowned night heron called from the woods west of the path and flew 40 feet in front of us and landed out into the marsh. After that it called some more from the center of the marsh.

Pretty fun afternoon experience for my 300th state bird! Glad they could stick around so I could make time to head on down there.

Now to set a new target number!

Good Birding,

Eli Kenyon,
Ames, story county