Mississippi Kite

T J

Jun 16, 2024, 2:27:44 PM (13 days ago) Jun 16
to Iowa Bird List, Tom and Becky Johnson
On the 15 of June a Mississippi Kite was spotted on Rathbun Lake summer bird count. This the first record in Appanoose county. It was seen by all the birders in the group as Selena Richardson found it, in I believe a Basswood tree next to the stream.
I had to leave the group before they found it but relocated a soaring Mississippi Kite in  the same area this morning. The location 26429 265 Ave, Appanoose County. 40.66596 by-92.78169. Look at Rathbun Lake facebook page for a picture of the Kite, a Yellow-crowned Night Heron and others by the Richardsons. Thanks to Larry Piatt for bringing his daughter and granddaughters on the count. We also had a Blue Grosbeak.
--
Tom Johnson
Mystic