IC-7300 for QRQ QSK

Andrew M.

Jan 2, 2022, 8:36:15 AM1/2/22
to i_...@googlegroups.com
Hi all -

Are there any CW gurus in the group who have experience with the IC-7300 running high speed CW?

It sounds like this is an excellent modern (direct sampling SDR), general purpose rig for the price, but how does it perform with full break-in QRQ CW; how does the CW envelope look; etc. compared to something like the K3/K3S?

Thanks,
-Andrew
NV1B / CFO 963
..

joe living

Jan 2, 2022, 9:38:02 AM1/2/22
to i_...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear from you, Andrew. The QRQ group meets on Saturday and Sunday evenings. Steve, WF3T, sets the time and frequencies. We have been bouncing between 80 and 40. Would you like to be added to his e-mail list?

I would not automatically assume the IC-7300 would work at QRQ speeds, say 50 to 60 wpm. The original K3 sure didn't as Chuck, W5UXH found out. Chuck, AA0HW might have some thoughts.

Are you going to get back on the air? Joe, KF7CX, and I meet on iCW every evening at 6pm Central time. Join us if you are free.

Joe W3GW

--

---

Andrew M.

Jan 2, 2022, 10:15:57 AM1/2/22
to i_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe - great to hear from you and thanks for the reply.

The original K3 wasn't good at QRQ but the "CW+" software update fixed all that, and the rig ended up being an incredibly good QRQ performer. Unfortunately Elecraft no longer sells the K3, and its successor is ~$4K with far more features than I need.

Hoping the 7300 can do 60 with great results but you're right - don't want to make assumptions.

Yes,  looking to get back on the air after a few years off. I'll need some practice before jumping into the group but great to know you're all still meeting up, and I'll definitely be listening for you.

73,
-Andrew / NV1B
..

S. Steltzer

Jan 2, 2022, 1:13:23 PM1/2/22
to Andrew NV1B, 'joe living' via iCW - internet CW
Hello Andrew,

None of the SDR radios are going to do QSK well. There is just too much latency in the signal processing process. Even the hybrids like the FTDX101's do not do QSK well. On the other hand, if you are willing to accept hearing between words ( which I personally feel is good enough at 50 and up ) and wearing phones so the relays don't bother you,  the 101's have very good keying up to somewhere between 80 and 85. And they've cleaned it up, no more Yaesu key clicks. I understand the FTDX10's are the same basic radio without the sub RX and are very reasonably priced. The TS590SG's send well, but the relays in them are really loud, especially the amp relay.  I don't know about the IC 7300's.

73,
Steve, WF3T

Andrew M.

Jan 2, 2022, 2:30:46 PM1/2/22
to S. Steltzer, 'joe living' via iCW - internet CW
Thanks Steve. Hearing between words at 50+ sounds reasonable. I watched some of Steve/N4LQs many videos on the 7300 and realize there are two T/R relays that activate, plus a fan that activates on TX. I think those would drive me nuts, especially after being spoiled by silent PIN diode switching in other Elecraft rigs. It will be hard to find a rig that won't run a fan at QRO, but I was hoping for at least silent T/R switching in year 2022. I'm going to try to check out the 7300 in person this week at the local(ish) store.

73,
-Andrew / NV1B
..