Error while removing a file from iRODS

Bazi Jana

Feb 22, 2023, 12:18:22 PM2/22/23
to iRODS-Chat
Hi,

I am trying to upload data (file: 1GB.bin) from my Computer by using Python iRODS Client PRC. After interrupting the upload process, I want to remove/delete that file and re-upload it. Unfortunately, I cannot remove that file, even if I use iCommands. See the error below please. How can I solve this? Thanks

$ irm -f 1GB.bin
ERROR: rmUtil: rm error for /Testzone/home/bob/1GB.bin, status = -406000 status = -406000 LOCKED_DATA_OBJECT_ACCESS

$ irm 1GB.bin
ERROR: rmUtil: rm error for /Testzone/home/bob/1GB.bin, status = -1803000 status = -1803000 HIERARCHY_ERROR

Regards,
Jana

Terrell Russell

Feb 22, 2023, 12:22:07 PM2/22/23
to irod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jana,

You have a locked data object - which *should* never persist beyond the lifetime of an active transfer / replication operation.  We're working to eliminate the cases where this can happen.

In the meantime, you can address this as an administrator with the `iadmin modrepl` command.

Terrell

The Integrated Rule-Oriented Data System (iRODS) - https://irods.org

iROD-Chat: http://groups.google.com/group/iROD-Chat
---

Alan King

Feb 22, 2023, 12:26:53 PM2/22/23
to irod...@googlegroups.com
What version of python-irodsclient are you running?

Can you provide any information about how the data object got stuck in the locked status? There's a chance that this has already been addressed by a code change in the lead up to our next release(s) but there's also a chance that you have found a situation which we are not covering.

In addition to what Terrell linked, I'll drop a link to the updated documentation (which has not yet been fully published): https://github.com/irods/irods_docs/blob/main/docs/system_overview/troubleshooting.md#data-object-stuck-in-locked-or-intermediate-status This has slightly more detailed instructions for how to get out of this situation.

--
Alan King
Senior Software Developer | iRODS Consortium

Bazi Jana

Feb 23, 2023, 3:42:00 AM2/23/23
to iRODS-Chat
Hi Terrell, hi Alan,

Thank you so much.

@Alan:
I' m trying this Hamster Client (https://github.com/Andries-B/Hamster). That means, I' m using python-irodsclient>=1.0.0 (https://github.com/Andries-B/Hamster/blob/main/src/requirements.txt), with a pure python(without a local irods_environment.json).
While uploading a large file, I sometime receive a new window/a dialog with  the main title: "testApp"  is not responding. and two buttons: Force Quit button and Wait button. A few minutes after clicking Wait button, I receive again the same window/dialog.... At the end, I decide to click Force Quit button to interrupt the upload process. This is how the data object got stuck in the locked status.

Kind Regards,
Jana

Alan King

Mar 3, 2023, 1:47:22 PM3/3/23
to irod...@googlegroups.com
Okay, thanks for the additional information.

Can you confirm that the object is truly stuck in the locked state indefinitely? Or does it update to a resting status after a while?

It could be that the servicing agent needs for the connection to time out before closing and finalizing the object. I don't imagine that clicking "Force Quit" attempts to disconnect the client from the server. It is possibly a manifestation of this issue: https://github.com/irods/irods/issues/6879