irods logs in podman container

Reinier V

Jul 2, 2024, 7:03:51 AM (5 days ago) Jul 2
to iRODS-Chat
Hello!

I'm a bioinformatician from the AUMC (medical hospital in Amsterdam) and I had a great experience at the 2024 UGM in Amsterdam, thank you for hosting!

We are currently trying to set-up irods in podman containers. I noticed that for some reason, there is no /var/log/syslog and obviously this makes debugging very difficult. I tried out irods-provider dockerfiles from several irods repositories (irods ingest, irods demo), but yet to no avail. In all of them, rsyslog is installed and is running inside the container.

Do you have any experience on this issue? Is there maybe a way around this?

Best,

Reinier

joris luijsterburg

Jul 3, 2024, 7:21:40 AM (4 days ago) Jul 3
to iRODS-Chat
Reinier,

Are you checking the correct loglocation? irods logs to /var/log/irods/irods.log. The syslogsettings forward it to this file instead of the syslogfile (see /etc/rsyslog.d/00-irods.conf if you are using ubuntu)

Regards,
Joris

Alan King

Jul 3, 2024, 11:58:13 AM (4 days ago) Jul 3
to irod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Reinier,

To add to what Joris suggested, you might find that adding a configuration for rsyslog to write to a separate file for irods could be beneficial. We have included some steps to do this in our documentation here: https://docs.irods.org/4.3.2/system_overview/troubleshooting/#the-server-log

Hope that helps.

Alan

The Integrated Rule-Oriented Data System (iRODS) - https://irods.org

iROD-Chat: http://groups.google.com/group/iROD-Chat
---

Alan King
Senior Software Developer | iRODS Consortium