Permissions of removed groups stay in database

jef scheepers

May 31, 2024, 7:46:28 AMMay 31
to iRODS-Chat
Hello everyone!

I noticed that when we remove a rodsgroup from our iRODS zone, I can still find the permissions of that group on collections and data objects.

For example, I created a group called 'testgroup' (ID 10020) and gave it read rights on the collection 'test'. When I remove the group (with iadmin rmgroup), their access seems to stay there:

iquest "SELECT COLL_ACCESS_USER_ID, COLL_ACCESS_NAME where COLL_NAME = '/myzone/home/rods/test'"

COLL_ACCESS_USER_ID = 10002
COLL_ACCESS_NAME = own
COLL_ACCESS_USER_ID = 10020
COLL_ACCESS_NAME = read_object

The permission is not reported anymore by ils -A, but I can still find it with iquest and with session.query in the PRC.
Since the group doesn't exist anymore, I don't believe that there is a real access issue. However, this outdated info remains, which in my opinion is confusing and requires some manual cleaning after queries.

My question: is this intended behaviour or not?
In the second case, I can make a proper Github issue with steps to reproduce.

Kind regards,
Jef

Terrell Russell

Jun 2, 2024, 1:59:06 PMJun 2
to irod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jef,

My initial reaction is the same as yours.

Please create an issue at GitHub, and we can investigate any good reasons to keep them around that I'm forgetting.

Terrell

The Integrated Rule-Oriented Data System (iRODS) - https://irods.org

iROD-Chat: http://groups.google.com/group/iROD-Chat
---

Alan King

Jun 10, 2024, 4:45:26 PMJun 10
to irod...@googlegroups.com
Yes, please create an issue on GitHub so we can track it. Thanks!

--
Alan King
Senior Software Developer | iRODS Consortium

jef scheepers

Jun 11, 2024, 11:43:21 AMJun 11
to iRODS-Chat
With a small delay: you can find the issue here: https://github.com/irods/irods/issues/7778

Kind regards,
Jef

Alan King

Jun 11, 2024, 1:41:01 PMJun 11
to irod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jef. We'll look into this for an upcoming release.