Encryption of iRODS data at rest

aite...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2021, 7:29:54 PM1/4/21
to iRODS-Chat
Dear community,

I am currently looking at ways of encrypting iRODS data at rest, so I thought I should ask how some of you are handling key management and encryption/decryption operations when files are written/read.

Do you do the encryption using the policy enforcement points (PEP) or how are you doing it?

Thanks for your anticipated response!

Best,
Aiten

aite...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2021, 4:47:31 PM1/7/21
to iRODS-Chat
Hello guys,

I will appreciate it if someone can share their experience with me,
Thanks in advance
Aiten

John Constable

Jan 7, 2021, 5:19:35 PM1/7/21
to iRODS-Chat
Hey Aiten,

I suspect our collective silence is down to not many of us trying this!

We looked into this a little bit a while back, and the only option that didnt come with IO penalties that would have been too steep (LUKS encypted filesystem, IIRC) was to use encypted-at-rest drives (this was HP at the time), but after investigation it was decided that the additonal cost wasn't worth the additonal protection; as we mostly store genomic data on RAID array filesystems, so you would need multiple drives from the RAID to reconstruct a portion of the file which was itself compressed (CRAM for e.g.) and so the possibility of recovering usefull data from a recyled drive wasn't considered high enough to warranty the additional expense (and vendor lock in!).

I'm pretty sure the community would be interested in any experimentation you might have done though?

John

Vilém Děd

Apr 14, 2022, 1:50:02 AM4/14/22
to iRODS-Chat
There is a microservice for this: https://github.com/irods/contrib/tree/main/microservices/administration/msiencrypt_replica
Just in case you are still interested ;)
(I've found it via https://github.com/irods/irods/issues/3300)

John Constable

Apr 14, 2022, 2:40:57 AM4/14/22
to iRODS-Chat
That's interesting, thank you! Have you tried it (and on which version!)? It decrypts at rest on the server, which isn't ideal, but still...

Vilém Děd

Apr 14, 2022, 4:53:10 AM4/14/22
to iRODS-Chat
Sorry, we haven't used it.
The PEP for GET operation can be changed and with a bit of additional code, you could allow decryption in a "safe" resource only.
Just to have it complete - protection of the KV pair with password should be implemented. E.g. with https://github.com/irods/irods_rule_engine_plugin_metadata_guard