DNS host resolution on the client side

Jean-Yves Nief

Mar 16, 2023, 6:42:44 AM3/16/23
to irod...@googlegroups.com
hello again,

            I have noticed the following issue recently with 4.2.11
clients running from remote sites (containers etc...). I thought it was
due to some exotic config on the remote clients.
If someone do a iput of a small file (or use no multistreams transfer),
it works fine as the upload goes through our catalog providers. When
dealing with multistreams transfers, the client is going to connect
directly to a consumer server hosting the physical resource (eg:
serverA.in2p3.fr). For some users, it ends like this:
remote addresses: aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd ERROR: getaddrinfo_with_retry address
resolution timeout [serverA]
aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the IP address of one of the catalog provider.
Note that the client has issues as it tries to resolve the name
"serverA" which obviously does not exist locally. It lacks the
".in2p3.fr" domain name.
As a temporary solution, I ask these guys to add in /etc/resolv.conf the
following line:
search in2p3.fr
And it works fine. However, not everybody may have the rights to modify
it if needed.
I was wondering if I could solve this by adding the address into
hosts_config.json.
But before making the change and do a quick restart, I wanted to check
with you if that would make the trick as the system is in production.
thanks in advance,
JY

Kory Draughn

Mar 20, 2023, 12:45:03 PM3/20/23
to irod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jean-Yves,

hosts_config.json is a server only file, so clients cannot and should not rely on that.

What you need to do is make sure your clients can resolve the hostnames of the servers they attempt to connect to. That must be done through DNS or some other mechanism.

Thanks,

Kory Draughn
Chief Technologist
iRODS Consortium

The Integrated Rule-Oriented Data System (iRODS) - https://irods.org

 iROD-Chat:  http://groups.google.com/group/iROD-Chat
---

Jean-Yves Nief

Mar 27, 2023, 10:37:26 AM3/27/23
to irod...@googlegroups.com, Kory Draughn
hello Kory,

            I have hit several time the problem in the last couple of
days especially with a user who did not have any problem on v3 (I
migrated them recently on v4) and who reported the error below on the
very same machine. Clearly the client was receiving a host name without
the domain name and was not able to resolve the server name into an IP
address.
I have added in hosts_config.json the various address for the server
(serverA, serverA.in2p3.fr, xxx.yyy.zzz.kkk) and the client has not been
reported the problem anymore.
cheers,
JY

Kory Draughn wrote:
> Hi Jean-Yves,
>
> *hosts_config.json* is a server only file, so clients cannot and
> should not rely on that.
>
> What you need to do is make sure your clients can resolve the
> hostnames of the servers they attempt to connect to. That must be done
> through DNS or some other mechanism.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kory Draughn
> Chief Technologist
> iRODS Consortium
>

> On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 6:42 AM Jean-Yves Nief <ni...@cc.in2p3.fr
> <mailto:ni...@cc.in2p3.fr>> wrote:
>
> hello again,
>
>              I have noticed the following issue recently with 4.2.11
> clients running from remote sites (containers etc...). I thought
> it was
> due to some exotic config on the remote clients.
> If someone do a iput of a small file (or use no multistreams
> transfer),
> it works fine as the upload goes through our catalog providers. When
> dealing with multistreams transfers, the client is going to connect
> directly to a consumer server hosting the physical resource (eg:
> serverA.in2p3.fr <http://serverA.in2p3.fr>). For some users, it
> ends like this:
> remote addresses: aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd ERROR: getaddrinfo_with_retry
> address
> resolution timeout [serverA]
> aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the IP address of one of the catalog provider.
> Note that the client has issues as it tries to resolve the name
> "serverA" which obviously does not exist locally. It lacks the
> ".in2p3.fr <http://in2p3.fr>" domain name.
> As a temporary solution, I ask these guys to add in
> /etc/resolv.conf the
> following line:
> search in2p3.fr <http://in2p3.fr>
> And it works fine. However, not everybody may have the rights to
> modify
> it if needed.
> I was wondering if I could solve this by adding the address into
> hosts_config.json.
> But before making the change and do a quick restart, I wanted to
> check
> with you if that would make the trick as the system is in production.
> thanks in advance,
> JY
>
> --
> --
> The Integrated Rule-Oriented Data System (iRODS) - https://irods.org
>
>  iROD-Chat: http://groups.google.com/group/iROD-Chat
> ---
>
> iROD-Chat: http://groups.google.com/group/iROD-Chat
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/irod-chat/CAA-7h7nRNCaByr-zrLWFNanGFdYMtF6AdXK%3DYJ5E95DATxBQGg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/irod-chat/CAA-7h7nRNCaByr-zrLWFNanGFdYMtF6AdXK%3DYJ5E95DATxBQGg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Kory Draughn

Mar 27, 2023, 11:56:07 AM3/27/23
to Jean-Yves Nief, irod...@googlegroups.com
Which machine reported the error?
Was it the client or the server?
I'm assuming the client is running on a machine that does not have a /etc/irods/hosts_config.json file on it, correct?

Kory Draughn
Chief Technologist
iRODS Consortium

Jean-Yves Nief

Mar 28, 2023, 5:23:44 AM3/28/23
to Kory Draughn, irod...@googlegroups.com
Kory Draughn wrote:
> Which machine reported the error?
the client machine was complaining.
> Was it the client or the server?
> I'm assuming the client is running on a machine that does not have a
> /etc/irods/hosts_config.json file on it, correct?
yes indeed.
JY

> [...]
> >     check
> >     with you if that would make the trick as the system is in
> production.
> >     thanks in advance,
> >     JY
> >
> >     --
> >     --
> >     The Integrated Rule-Oriented Data System (iRODS) -
> https://irods.org
> >
> >      iROD-Chat: http://groups.google.com/group/iROD-Chat
> >     ---
> Google
> >     Groups "iRODS-Chat" group.
> >     To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails
> from it,
> >     send an email to irod-chat+...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:irod-chat%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >     <mailto:irod-chat%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:irod-chat%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >     To view this discussion on the web visit

Kory Draughn

Mar 28, 2023, 8:14:40 AM3/28/23
to Jean-Yves Nief, irod...@googlegroups.com
I think I understand what's happening now.

Kory Draughn
Chief Technologist
iRODS Consortium

Kory Draughn

Mar 28, 2023, 10:07:40 AM3/28/23
to Jean-Yves Nief, irod...@googlegroups.com
Excellent!

Glad the hosts_config.json worked for you.

Kory Draughn
Chief Technologist
iRODS Consortium

On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 10:02 AM Jean-Yves Nief <ni...@cc.in2p3.fr> wrote: