v4.2.11 compound resource behavior

Jean-Yves Nief

Mar 24, 2023, 8:51:16 AM3/24/23
to iRODS-Chat
hello,

            it seems that I have hit an issue.
I have a compound resource Comp with a "Cache" resource (type=cache) and
an "Arch" resource (type=archive).
Let's have an object "foo" only available on the "Arch" resource:
> ils -l foo (state A)
.... 1 Comp;Arch   ....... & foo
If I am as an irods user I am the *owner* of "foo", I can get the file
which will be staged on "Cache" and transfered to the client as expected:
> ils -l foo (state B)
.... 1 Comp;Arch   ....... & foo
.... 2 Comp;Cache   ....... & foo
Let's go back to state A and then do an iget but with an irods account
which has *read only access* to "foo":
> iget foo
remote addresses: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ERROR: getUtil: get error for ./foo
status = -405000 INTERMEDIATE_REPLICA_ACCESS
and:
> ils -l foo (state B)
.... 1 Comp;Arch   ....... & foo
.... 2 Comp;Cache   ....... ? foo
Physically, the file has been properly copied on "Cache" resource but is
locked in an intermediate state and cannot be accessed by the user with
read only access even after a second attempt as the only good copy for
the system is in the archive resource and cannot be accessed directly
(HIERARCHY error).
For the time being, I have given write access to this user in order to
have access to data but that should not be the case.
It seems that something is not quite right there.
thanks in advance,
JY

Alan King

Mar 24, 2023, 11:10:42 AM3/24/23
to irod...@googlegroups.com
Yep, this is a real bug - reproduced on the tip of 4-2-stable. I've captured it in an issue here: https://github.com/irods/irods/issues/6997

Sorry for the trouble...

The Integrated Rule-Oriented Data System (iRODS) - https://irods.org

 iROD-Chat:  http://groups.google.com/group/iROD-Chat
---

Alan King
Senior Software Developer | iRODS Consortium