GEO location

Rune Back

Feb 3, 2022, 4:28:00 AM2/3/22
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I'm sitting at a desktop computer writing this, because I like working with its' large keyboard and large screen. If I with my desktop computer use one of my APPs that has GEO location, it'll claim I'm in Helsinki or Tampere, 100s of miles south from where my beloved hometown and office are located.

The reason is probably that my desktop computer has no GPS, so my GEO location has more to do with the mobile operator I use than with my actual location - but the reason is of no importance to me. - I would like to discern (using JavaScript?) if someone using my APP has a device that has GPS or not. This matter is of much importance when an APP uses GEO location. - Does anyone have an answer to this, or knows a source where the answer might be found?

All the best (in spite of the Corona)!

Rune

Mogens Beltoft

Feb 3, 2022, 1:45:45 PM2/3/22
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

To my knowledge you only have the Geolocation API to get any information from:

There are no properties to indicate what kind of position you receive, but you can request a position, and maybe use the returned accuracy to tell whether you have a GPS position or not.

/Mogens

Rune Back

Feb 4, 2022, 6:31:55 AM2/4/22
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Yes, of course, but that's not the issue. - As a programmer of a site or an APP, you can (with the surfer's permisssion) get the GEO location of the surfer using the information of his/her browser. Period. No hacking. The information is exact if and only if the surfer's device has a GPS. If not so, the GEO location will instead be the GEO location of some telecommunication mast of your Internet provider, and that mast may be 100s of miles away. - My question is: Is it possible to discern (as a programmer) if the GEO location comes from the user's device or from the operater's mast?

Mogens Beltoft

Feb 4, 2022, 7:39:29 AM2/4/22
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
I was trying (unsuccessfully) to explain that Geolocation API does not provide the information you want, but you might have significantly different values for accuracy, whether you have a GPS location or not.
So maybe you could differentiate between GOS and non-GPS locations.
This is of course only valid for web stuff. If you go native programming, then you might have other possibilities.

/Mogens

Rune Back

Feb 4, 2022, 10:52:34 AM2/4/22
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
"...unsuccessfully..." ...maybe so ... .... ........ ...... ..... . ..... ... ... .. "...returned accuracy..." ... I think I understand now what you're getting at. Very interesting. I haven't thought of that. I will try it out!

Rune Back

Feb 8, 2022, 5:02:16 AM2/8/22
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
I got 4486.774053718782 as accuracy for my desktop computer without GPS. That should be in meters. I think you're on to something, Mogans. - THANK YOU VERY MUCH!