Re: [i3detroit-public] Digest for i3detroit-public@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 1 topic

Stephen J. Nowicki

Aug 12, 2021, 12:13:50 PM8/12/21
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com

Robin,

    My CNC at i 3 has an area of 30 X 47 3/4 inches.

On 8/12/2021 3:07 AM, i3detroi...@googlegroups.com wrote:
Robin Jourdan <robin....@gmail.com>: Aug 11 05:43AM -0700

Hi all - I am an almost member, and am really fascinated by this group. I
wonder if y'all would be able to help me with a project I have going. I'm
an MFA student at WSU and am in need of a CNC (router?) machine to carve a
plank of wood for a relief print. My print will be 24x48 and is simple
linework, but accuracy demands have me thinking about a CNC machine to do
the work.

Is this something I3 can assist me in completing? I'd be grateful for any
assistance/thoughts to complete this project. Our CNC machine on campus is
out of working order due to damage (flood) earlier this summer.

In respect and gratitude
Robin J
Roger S <surfer...@gmail.com>: Aug 11 09:18AM -0400

I don't think we have a machine that can do that yet. There has been
discussion of getting a ShopBot or similar machine. And I think that might
be too large for Steve's smaller wood CNC machine. You could check the
wiki, though, and see if it might work.

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 8:50 AM Robin Jourdan <robin....@gmail.com>
wrote:

David schmittler <dschm...@gmail.com>: Aug 11 09:22AM -0400

I have a CNC desk top 3018

Sent from my iPhone

David schmittler <dschm...@gmail.com>: Aug 11 09:23AM -0400

I just reread it. If anyone has any v channel we can make my CNC bigger

Sent from my iPhone

Kevin Flory <flory....@gmail.com>: Aug 11 04:08PM -0400

Hi, Robin! When you say 'relief print', do you mean as in 'woodblock print'?

If that's so, I know one former member had success using a laser cutter to
burn the lines into the surface of a woodblock instead, using a dither
setting to take down the negative areas. While I'm not an expert here, let
me know off the list if you'd like more details and I'll pass along what I
do know. Or I'll be in this Friday from 7 PM onward--we have a lino block
made with a similar technique, and I believe I have a print pulled from a
woodblock made this way.

Kevin F.
flory....@gmail.com