Metal off cuts

Chrishooton

Apr 23, 2021, 5:37:09 PM4/23/21
to I3Detroit-Public
My son recently got himself a mini metal lathe. Does anyone know where he can obtain som metal off cuts? One project we’re working on requires a few inches of round bar at least 58mm in diameter.

Raiford, Jody

Apr 23, 2021, 6:06:17 PM4/23/21
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
If you just want random steel and you aren't picky about the exact measurements, I might have something lying around. If he's willing to take some pictures and write up a short report on what he's making, I'm happy to let it go for scrap prices. (A few cents a pound, rather than a few dollars a foot, and I only do that because it would qualify as a recorded training exercise).

Alternatively, there are online retailers such as SpeedyMetals.com where you can price shop. They often have deals on small quantities, drops, and off cuts. There are also plenty of local places, like Metal Mart and Haggerty Metals, who you can call to see what they have lying around. No guarantees, but they might have scrap bins you can look through.

If you'd like to talk about what I have lying around the shop, email me privately at Wel...@i3detroit.org.

Jody
Welding zone coordinator

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021, 5:37 PM Chrishooton <chris...@gmail.com> wrote:
My son recently got himself a mini metal lathe. Does anyone know where he can obtain som metal off cuts? One project we’re working on requires a few inches of round bar at least 58mm in diameter.

D. Moore

May 7, 2021, 3:33:01 PM5/7/21
to i3 Detroit Public
Don't forget to stop by Alro, the often have clearance chunks for a dollar a pound or less. They have a large selection, and also have plastic. For dimensional practice, and ease on the tooling Delrin or equivalent is a good option.

Leroy Taylor

Jun 11, 2021, 3:04:18 PM6/11/21
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com