Maker Space position in Farmington

Jeff Sturges

Oct 4, 2020, 5:58:48 PM10/4/20
FYI please pass the word...

Jeff Sturges

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Lowell Boileau <low...@atdetroit.com>
Date: Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 11:24 AM
Subject: Maker Space position
To: Jeff Sturges <jeff.s...@gmail.com>

Hi Jeff,

It’s been a while. I hope all is well by you.

I live in Farmington and a couple of years ago they shut down a large well-provisioned high school that is now being converting into a what should be an outstanding community center. I noticed today that it will include a Maker Space and that they are making a call out for part time Manager and part time Technician, the former paying better than the latter.  The application links are below.

Not sure if this is something that would interest you.  While the pay is not super it might be a nice side gig, if not for you for someone in those circles you may know.  The community is fairly well endowed and these things can grow.  Commuting wise is is easy as the site is only a half mile of the I-696 and Orchard Lake Rd. exit.

Here is a vid on the overall project:

Life is good for me so far, still painting, writing and managing my Detroit online communities.

Cheers, Lowell
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
Fine Art Painter & Internet Media Artist
TechTown Detroit
440 Burroughs Suite 136
Detroit, MI 48202
586-457-6208 cell/text

Beatrice Yuen

Oct 4, 2020, 10:40:34 PM10/4/20
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Oh my gosh, this is amazing news! This is actually a mile from my house.

- Beatrice Yuen

Roger S

Oct 4, 2020, 10:45:56 PM10/4/20
to i3Detroit
Yeah, not far from me.  Pay rate looks pretty low for the kind of experience they're looking for.  At half time (it's listed as a part time job), you'd make around $19K per year.

Jan Henry

Oct 5, 2020, 1:11:38 AM10/5/20
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com

Kevin B

Jan 28, 2021, 12:47:15 PM1/28/21
to i3 Detroit Public
Has anyone heard updated details of the makerspace inside "The Hawk" community center in Farmington Hills?  Did anyone from i3 Apply, or was anyone from i3 involved in hellping plan this new space?

"With the help of a $537,000 grant from the Bosch Community Fund, the city plans to add a makerspace at the new community center. The grant will provide $179,000 per year for three years for the makerspace."

The article mentions "The city has been working with Maker Works in Ann Arbor to understand how to properly build the space, what equipment to implement and how to operate it with proper staff training and safety procedures."  But it doesn't mention anyone at i3.

Thanks,

-Kevin

Bill Putt

Jun 26, 2021, 4:37:42 AM6/26/21
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
for some reason i thought the original post was on the main i3 list not the public one, so i couldn't find this original thread. i just now thought to look here. here is what i wrote on the main list earlier

He folks,
     The Hawk in Farmington Hills is a new community center built in an old high school that will contain a makerspace. This was brought up last year some time and I wanted to report what I found out today. They finally actually opened about 2 weeks ago, despite the website stating it opened April 1st. The makerspace though is still under construction. We saw were it will be and it's a pretty nice space. looks like a 2 level type thing with the lower level being the wood shop. There were some wood working tools in there but not much. The upper area has some large printers. The maker area is supposed to be open in the fall. Once it is, i'll go take a look again and report back.

Bill Putt

Jake Cooper

Jun 28, 2021, 8:45:31 PM6/28/21
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Hi er body,

I just heard hazel park library now has a maker space they're building out but I dont see anything on their website.  I also heard they're partnering with i3.  Does anybody have more information on this?

Jake
I'm Kool, people say I'm aight

Jan Henry

Jun 28, 2021, 9:31:32 PM6/28/21
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
I haven't heard anything about a partnership. I'm not aware of any plans, unless some advice was given at some point to get them started, but I don't believe it was a space-organized thing.

Jan Henry
Current board member
Craft room co-coordinator/sewing dept.

Bill Putt

Oct 15, 2021, 1:04:55 PM10/15/21
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks,
     I Stopped by the Hawk today as it's now fall. The space is STILL not open but I have some more details for folks. Still no word on an opening date. I happened to run into the guy in charge so I got some go info.

There is a tour of the space going on tomorrow from 9am until 6pm. So you can check out the space. They are also going to have a white board to put up requests for what tools ppl want to see in the space
They will soon be hiring techs! so that might be of interest to someone on this list.
They will start having classes on how to use tools in January or February(so seems like space won't be open until late mid-late winter now)
It's an old high school, so they are going to let ppl have the old lockers as project storage.

Still no word on pricing either. a meeting for that will be next week.

--
Bill Putt

cosfreye

Oct 15, 2021, 2:27:30 PM10/15/21
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update! This location is 5 minutes from my house so I'm super grateful for all this additional information.