Wire stripping

Beq Menger

Aug 16, 2022, 5:12:57 PM8/16/22
to i3 Detroit Public
Hello all,

I have some wire from old cable TV lines that I'd like to strip so I can recover the copper wire and use it to make copper jewelry. The wire I've been able to recover by hand is 20 gauge and thus very usable to me.

Does I3 have a mechanical wire stripper I could use for this purpose? It's been awhile since I've been to the space for events or classes so I might need to redo the orientation and that's fine.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Becky

John Sugg

Aug 17, 2022, 11:05:20 AM8/17/22
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
If it’s modern coax cable that goes from a pole to a house then the center conductor is steel with a copper coating. If it’s the bigger coax that runs between poles it will be copper coated aluminum. I hope you have some rather old coax that has a solid copper center conductor. Hope this helps.
John

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 16, 2022, at 5:12 PM, Beq Menger <silver...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

Silver Fire

Aug 17, 2022, 11:47:22 AM8/17/22
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Well the one I hand stripped was copper all the way thru. I'll have to cut into the rest of the rats nest of cables to see what the rest of them are made of.

Thanks for the heads up!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "i3 Detroit Public" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/i3detroit-public/5C0270A0-8B1B-4B40-86B7-6C2763F16B60%40comcast.net.

Jon Williams

Aug 17, 2022, 5:23:15 PM8/17/22
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Becky,

If you're familiar with super flex cable, it's stranded cable with very thin copper wire but typically comes in a large size, think welding cables and bigger. So even a small length would still net you a lot to work with...or at least I'm assuming since you use it for jewelry. I believe each individual strand may be a bit smaller than 20ga though.

Might be another option to consider.

Jon W.

Silver Fire

Aug 20, 2022, 1:32:08 PM8/20/22
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
As it turns out all of the cable was of the more modern copper coated stuff and thus not really what I was looking for.

So it's getting dropped off at the recyclers for processing.

Thanks for the heads up on that problem. I may go looking for the super flex wire although I don't do much with 28 gauge wire.