i2b2 1.7.13 log4j vulnerability

Daryl B

Mar 26, 2024, 12:02:11 PMMar 26
to i2b2 Install Help
Our vulnerability scanner is flagging this version.   It appears to not like the log4j-1.2.8.jar file located in the analysis-commons-launcher.   I believe I read where all log4j would be upgraded to version 2.x for i2b2 version 1.7.13.

Any clarification and confirmation that the jar file is not vulnerable would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Daryl

Jeff Klann

Mar 26, 2024, 4:59:41 PMMar 26
to i2b2 Install Help
Yes, we did upgrade to log4j 2.x. I do see the 1.2.8 jar in the repository (in analysis-commons), but I don't see references to it in the server code. I'm checking with our team and will get back to you, but my guess is it is not used and would be safe to delete.

Thanks,
Jeff Klann

Daryl B

May 7, 2024, 2:40:12 PMMay 7
to i2b2 Install Help
Jeff,

Did you get a response from your team?

Sincerely,

Daryl

Jeff Klann

May 13, 2024, 11:23:36 AMMay 13
to i2b2 Install Help
Hi, sorry for the slow response. Yes, the old log4j library was unused and can be removed. It has been replaced by a newer version in this commit.

(The library is in the directory so CRC Plugins can do logging - however, most sites do not use CRC Plugins, and none are included with i2b2.)

Thanks,
Jeff