User accounts for SAML authentication.

Pedro Rivera

Feb 5, 2024, 10:52:51 PMFeb 5
to i2b2 Install Help
We are in the process of setting up SAML authentication on Linux Red Hat box, we followed the steps in this chapter:
Chapter 8. SAML Setup for i2b2 (v1.7.13 release)
We are very close, we have Shibboleth installed/configured and Apache configured for our IdP, and get a SAML response after an authentication request, but we can't get past a 'Username is empty' webclient error after what appears to be a successful authentication.
The attribute-map for eduPersonPrincipalName seems to be okay, so we are not sure why it is not being passed to the application via Apache.
I suspect we are missing something about the creatin/configuration of users for SAML authentication, the instructions say the following:
  1. Create a user for each SAML-authenticating user with the username set to the SAML EPPN.
  2. Create a pm_user_param setting authentication_method to SAML.

So, I created accounts that also contain the domain, such as i2b2...@mydomain.org, then added a pm user parameter named authentication_method with a value of SAML, am I missing something?

Thank you!
Pedro Rivera

Pedro Rivera

Feb 16, 2024, 7:25:15 PMFeb 16
to i2b2 Install Help
Resolved:
We were able to resolve this issue last week, the solution for "Username is empty" error at login was to add a new claim for a Username attribute in Azure.
  • Name: Username
  • Namespace: leave blank
  • Choose name format:
    • Name format: Basic
  • Source: Attribute
    • Source Attribute: user.userprincipalname

We had a username attribute, but it was all lowercase and this is case sensitive, also Username was not on the list of Shibboleth variables required by the webclient: