AD Service Accounts and Compatible Software Versions

BMay

Sep 29, 2021, 2:41:54 PMSep 29
to i2b2 Install Help
Hi,

We're planning an install with SQL Server and we're trying to ensure we can meet organizational security requirements.

The database account setup instructions seem to imply the setup of SQL Server accounts is required for the service accounts.
  1. Is there any way to use accounts from Active Directory if they're named consistently (e.g. domain\i2b2pm)?
Regarding compatible software versions,
  1. Is SQL Server 2019 supported? The links in the instructions are dead.
  2. Can RedHat 8 be used for the app server OS? We're a bit thrown off that CentOS 7 seems to be used so much.

Thanks!
Brandon

sil...@umich.edu

Oct 1, 2021, 11:35:54 AMOct 1
to i2b2 Install Help

Hi Brandon,

I have no idea about using Active Directory accounts (there is some support for LDAP in i2b2 but we are not using it), but can confirm that Michigan has been running i2b2 on Red Hat 8 servers for two years now with no issues.

Jeff Klann

Oct 5, 2021, 1:59:16 PMOct 5
to i2b2 Install Help
Hi Brandon,

We've found that Active Directory works for the service accounts. I put some information here: https://community.i2b2.org/wiki/display/getstarted/2.+Data+Source+Configuration ... please let me know if this works and if I am missing any information that should be documented.

SQL Server 2012+ including 2019 works as far as we know. I updated the link and put version numbers on the wiki https://community.i2b2.org/wiki/display/getstarted/2.2+Database+Requirements ... let us know if you have any trouble!

Thanks,
Jeff

BMay

Oct 5, 2021, 3:57:34 PMOct 5
to i2b2 Install Help
Hi Jeff, thanks a lot; this is very helpful!

If we're using integrated security, the VM would need to be running under the service account. Does this mean that all data sources/cells need to connect via the same service account in this scenario?

E.g. if the VM is running under the i2b2pm domain account, we'd need to also use the same i2b2pm account for the ONT/CRC/WORK cells db connections?

Thanks,
Brandon

Jeff Klann

Nov 18, 2021, 4:55:36 PM (11 days ago) Nov 18
to i2b2 Install Help
I don't think that's a requirement. In general, you can specify different db connection properties for each cell. Let us know if you get it to work!

Jeff