How to search for asterisks in annotations?

dgfkh gsh

Apr 27, 2021, 10:52:55 AM4/27/21
to Hypothes.is Forum
How do I search for the * symbol in my annotations? Searching for it on the hypothesis site does nothing.

dgfkh gsh

Apr 27, 2021, 10:59:01 AM4/27/21
to Hypothes.is Forum
Even when it's listed as a tag, when I click on the tag no results show up. [I don't know how to edit my original post.]

Robert Knight

Apr 27, 2021, 11:29:00 AM4/27/21
to dgfkh gsh, Hypothes.is Forum
Hello,

As far as I know this is not currently possible. When you make an annotation the text is split into individual words which are then indexed for searching. In the process most punctuation is discarded.

Kind Regards,
Robert.

On 27 Apr 2021, at 15:52, dgfkh gsh <xdvcnm...@gmail.com> wrote:

How do I search for the * symbol in my annotations? Searching for it on the hypothesis site does nothing.

mdiro...@hypothes.is

Apr 27, 2021, 11:30:27 AM4/27/21
to Hypothes.is Forum
Hi there​,

Thanks for writing. I tried to replicate your issue and I could not. Maybe I need more info on where you're searching?

I created two annotations with the text "test" and "*test". Searching for "test" pulls up both annotations:
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.23.29 AM.png

...but searching for "*test" only turns up the one annotation:
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.23.36 AM.png

Even searching for just the asterisk bring up the expected result:
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.30.05 AM.png

Can you help me understand where you're running into your issue?

Thank you,
Michael

mdiro...@hypothes.is

Apr 27, 2021, 11:31:23 AM4/27/21
to Hypothes.is Forum
Ah, I see Robert has a different answer. You could consider going to an individual page and using the search method I used above to find the important annotations on that page.

Best,
Michael