Error message issues

Celeste Sepessy

Sep 12, 2022, 3:07:24 PM9/12/22
to Hypothes.is Forum
Hi there!

My students are receiving this message when trying to access this article: "viahtml.hypothesis.is refused to connect."

I'm able to access and annotate it, but I've had four students email me with the same issue. Any ideas what's going on?

Thank you!

mdiro...@hypothes.is

Sep 20, 2022, 3:34:58 PM9/20/22
to Hypothes.is Forum
Hi there,

Via is our proxy server; users will encounter it if they try to use the "View annotations in context" button on the Activity Page and don't have the Hypothesis Chrome extension installed.

While just about any site could work in the proxy, some sites won't work reliably there because of how they're made, or because their publishers don't want them working reliably in proxies.

My advice is to have students install the chrome extension or our Bookmarklet, go to the article, and then activate Hypothesis and annotate. I would avoid using Via on this site.

Best,
Michael