Annotation not on the correct page with 99percentinvisible.org website

Peter Murray

Apr 26, 2022, 4:52:39 PM4/26/22
to Hypothes.is Forum
This is strange...I put an annotation on https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/rumble-strip/transcript, but on my Hypothesis users page (https://hypothes.is/users/peter_murray) and via the API the annotation is showing up as orphaned from https://99percentinvisible.org/article/that-70s-pattern-the-designers-behind-that-familiar-vintage-kitchen-flooring/.  It isn't clear to me how this happened or what I can do to correct it.  Suggestions?

Peter

mdiro...@hypothes.is

Apr 27, 2022, 9:54:01 AM4/27/22
to Hypothes.is Forum
Hi Peter,

I noticed on that site that if I start on one page and click a link to another the page continues to contain an HTML element that says the canonical link of the new page is actually the old page.

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 9.46.35 AM.png

But when I navigate to a new page the canonical link keeps pointing to the old page:
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 9.49.43 AM.png

Hypothesis respects canonical links. When you annotate on a page and we see a canonical link that doesn't match the URL we perform what we call document equivalence. At this time there's no way to reverse document equivalence, unfortunately. My best guess is that something similar happened to someone on your problem page; someone had navigated there some another page, annotated, and then we made the two different URLs equivalent to one another.

We also serve up annotations based on the canonical URL, so you're going to see those annotations over any page that has the URL the annotations are associated with as a canonical link.

I'm sorry I can't be more help. Please feel free to send any questions my way.

Best,
Michael

Peter Murray

May 12, 2022, 4:54:21 PM5/12/22
to mdiro...@hypothes.is, Hypothes.is Forum
Sorry for the late reply—the email landed in my spam folder.

Thanks for the lead on the Canonical Link...that wouldn't have occurred to me.  So I think it is safe to say that this is a bug in the HTML generation of the 99percentinvisible.org content management system, right?  I'll send a message their way and ask them to check into it.

Best regards,

Peter