Questions about Blindsolving

Nicholas Frieler

Jan 14, 2021, 9:38:14 AM1/14/21
to hypercubing
Before I start, I'll mention that I have already looked over the Notes on Blindfold Solving 4D Puzzles Page (and it was very helpful), so my questions will be regarding clarification as to what is allowed during a blind solve.

For my first solve of the 3^4, I relied heavily on writing down my setup moves that I made before executing any algs so that I could undo them properly. During a blindfold solve, would writing down any setup moves be allowed (assuming any writing starts after blindfold mode is turned on)?

Can anything else be written down on a piece of paper during the blindfold mode of the solve?

Thanks!

Nicholas Frieler

Jan 17, 2021, 9:58:18 AM1/17/21
to hypercubing
Another more pertinent question relating to a blind solve that I have is whether or not the time to enter macros should be included in a solution time.

If the time to input macros was not included, this could lead to a more complicated set of macros that move around more pieces, but the trick would be quickly figuring out which macros to use. On the other hand, not including the time would probably also lead to very large sets of macros that a person likely wouldn't try to memorize for a non-macro blind (or even a regular) solve.

There are other factors to consider, but I think an easy way to bypass this is by creating two separate categories: one where time to create macros is included and one where it is not included. What do you guys think about this? (And, yes, I do realize that very few people are crazy enough to even attempt a blind solve either way, but then again, that was probably many of our initial reactions to blind solving a regular 3x3)