Found a way to get the full java app on Android.

Some Person

Sep 28, 2023, 6:26:52 PM9/28/23
to hypercubing
Screenshot_20230928-172326.png

Melinda Green

Sep 28, 2023, 6:29:59 PM9/28/23
to hypercubing, Some Person
Instructions please?

Some Person

Sep 29, 2023, 4:03:43 PM9/29/23
to hypercubing
install the app on the first result of search "Java Runtime Enviornment" on Google Play. Then, install the .jar file of magic cube 4d using the plus button. Also, you need to select Swing UI and not Console.

On Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 6:29:59 PM UTC-4 melinda wrote:
Instructions please?

Some Person

Sep 29, 2023, 4:04:07 PM9/29/23
to hypercubing
I can also provide a link if you want.

Melinda Green

Sep 29, 2023, 7:55:48 PM9/29/23
to hypercubing
Amazingly this sort of works!

The link is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coobbi.jre

Once installed and runing, you'll need to click the green  + button to load the MC4D jar file. It can't load it off the web, but can load from Google Drive. I copied it to the root level of my Android phone, but if you've never done anything like that, adding it to your Google Drive may be your best option.

Once it is running, you'll see that it is really clunky and almost unusable, largely because it is rendered much larger than my display, and I don't see a way to shrink it. Maybe it will work better on a tablet, so if anyone has a tablet and wants to try it and report back, that would be very helpful. You can however painfully scroll the display around using arrow keys at the bottom. It won't switch to landscape mode which would help.

You can't drag the puzzle around, or at least I didn't find a way. You can definitely drag the pointer around, hover over a sticker, and tap the screen to perform a left-twist. You can left-click in general by putting the cursor over whatever you want and then clicking anywhere on the screen to generate the click, so that's one helpful feature. I haven't found a way to perform a right-click or control-click, but anyone with the patience to use  my crude Android port will probably be glad for this version which is probably better, even in its current form. There are probably a lot of things that could be done to my desktop app to support this runtime environment, but I'm not likely to do that.

It seems to run in a continuous rendering mode and displays the frames per second at the top. This heats up my phone and may drain your battery much faster than otherwise.

Still, it's great to finally have any way to run Swing apps on Android. I've long felt it should be officially supported, but I guess Google is worried about security. Of course do be careful with any jar file you run and make sure you trust the developer and the platform from which you got it before you run it, just like you would for a desktop app. It may also work better on a more recent Android version. Mine is very old.

Thanks to Some Person for reporting this very helpful new resource!
-Melinda

Some Person

Sep 30, 2023, 4:02:37 PM9/30/23
to hypercubing
i literally was using a tablet for this, but it is still very clunky and unusable. Thankfully, the arrows move the window around so it is at least visible.