Parity on 2^4 physical puzzle

Ann Malmsten

Feb 11, 2021, 10:35:28 AM2/11/21
to hyper...@googlegroups.com
I sent this to hyler...@gmail.com whoops!

Ann Malmsten

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ann Malmsten <annmal...@gmail.com>
Date: February 10, 2021 at 23:11:52 CST
To: hyper...@gmail.com
Subject: Parity on 2^4 physical puzzle

Hello all!

Has anyone come across this case on the physical puzzle? I did have a pop, but i believe i fixed it properly.

Would appreciate an alg to fix!

Thanks,

Ann

Melinda Green

Feb 11, 2021, 7:51:25 PM2/11/21
to Ann Malmsten, hyper...@googlegroups.com
Since you can reconstruct this position anytime you like, I suggest starting over, just in case it was due to your pop. That happened to Chris Harrison and it drove him batty. If it happens again then you may have found a third parity case which would be very interesting.

Also double check your scrambling method to make sure it's legit. Brian Pamandanan accidentally used an untested scrambling method that luckily seems to be legit, but has not been analyzed.

Best,
-Melinda

Yunqi Ouyang

Feb 11, 2021, 11:54:00 PM2/11/21
to hypercubing
I think it's legal state if I recognized the pieces correctly.
What I deduced from the pictures:
  1. pink-green-orange-yellow piece needs to be twisted counterclockwise and purple-green-yellow-orange piece needs to be twisted clockwise in-place
  2. both yellow-green-orange and white-orange-green pairs of pink/purple part needs to be swapped;
What I would do:
  1. first do some "rotations" on each half and FINALLY A HALF TURN on side to setup it into a 2x2x2 OLL state and do a 2x2x2 OLL algorithm on that half, then reverse the setups
  2. for simplicity, I suppose I did a PURE OLL, this would results in a 2-swap on both ends, What you need to do is to make them 3-cycles using "E-slice" moves, and do 3-cycle on each end finally.
Of course you can do both in one step but it's not in my standard routine.