Solved the 3x3x3x3x3!

Rowan Fortier

Mar 22, 2024, 3:11:22 PMMar 22
to hypercubing
After 3 years of hypercubing and many failed attempts, I have finally solved the 3^5!

I was convinced by Luna to just get started and stop being intimidated by it and simply solve it. So I decided to go for it using the MC7D program this time as opposed to my previous attempt that didn't get very far that used the MPU program.

The joke was to solve it in 1 sitting because no one had ever recorded an entire solve before, meaning that I would automatically get the speedsolving world record for it just by recording the whole thing.

Unfortunately, I couldn't complete it in 1 sitting... here's how the timeline unfolded:
- a 7-hour long session that took me until 03:00 am (solved F2L minus 9 pairs)
- i went to bed, woke up, ate breakfast, showered
- a 4.5-hour long session (almost finished 4D OLL of the 5D PLL)
- I had to go to work and put in a full 5hr shift -_-
- got home and immediately started a 3.5-hour session where I finished the solve!

The method I used was equivalent to 3-block. Total time was 14:59:04, and took me 4,283 twists! I did record all of the solve, even though it wasn't in 1 sitting. You can view the entire solve on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmJYtK4sl9act8d6XO7d3xjT645sUwcFU

After submitting my log file to the Hall of Insanity, I became the 99th person to conquer the 3^5 💪

Massive thanks to Melinda, Luna, Hactar, and Roice

Happy Hypercubing!
- Rowan

Ty Jones

Mar 26, 2024, 11:26:10 AMMar 26
to Rowan Fortier, hypercubing
Congrats Rowan!

Mar 22, 2024, 1:11 PM by rowan....@gmail.com:

Edan Maor

Mar 26, 2024, 11:26:14 AMMar 26
to Rowan Fortier, hypercubing
Congrats Rowan!

And very inspiring, I've never really attempted anything other than the 3^4 or the physical 2^4. Might be worth trying the 3^5 :)
Are you thinking of doing a tutorial about it at some point? Your tutorial on 3^4 is what finally got me to solve it originally!

Thanks,
Edan

Rowan Fortier

Mar 26, 2024, 11:26:18 AMMar 26
to Edan Maor, hypercubing
Absolutely Probably not haha. A tutorial would take way too long but I’m planning on trying speedsolving the 3^5 and getting my time down so maybe.

By the way, Luna yesterday completed the first ever fully recorded continuous solve, setting the first world record of 3h 39m!

And we added 3^5 as a category to the leaderboards

- Rowan

Rowan Fortier

Apr 6, 2024, 5:56:08 PMApr 6
to hypercubing
I published a cool video that recaps through my 3^5 solving experience! check it out at https://youtu.be/_8PZT0pPbIo
I'm planning to do a few more solves, and hopefully break Luna's world record at some point hehehe
And then 3^6 eventually? Maybe...

- Rowan