Hyperaudio Maker

Mark Boas

Dec 11, 2013, 1:25:43 PM12/11/13
to hyper...@googlegroups.com
As part of the Hyperaud.io system we are creating tools to allow people to create their own transcriptions. The Hyperaudio Maker is one such tool and we've been busy fixing it up!

The Maker will be integrated into the HA ecosystem but can also be used standalone (see the direct links). The hope is that we can maintain this type of modularity.

Without further ado, the latest version can be found here: http://hyperaud.io/lab/ha-maker/ (click on the links to try it out)

The way it works is that the user types as the video plays and then after a 'chunk length' the video pauses until a threshold of keystroke inactivity ('inactivity cue') is detected.

Once we have transcript and media we can submit both to our algorithm to get word level timings. You can grab the code from here : https://github.com/hyperaudio-dev/ha-maker

I hope to be posting more frequently as these modules mature and we're super happy to get any feedback and answer questions.

Cheers

Mark

Zev Averbach

Dec 11, 2013, 2:50:02 PM12/11/13
to hyper...@googlegroups.com
This is great, Mark!  This is easily the most useable browser-based transcription interface I've come across.  One thing that would be useful, I think, is having the more traditional start/stop/auto-backstep buttons, which would be best accomplished with key bindings.

My vague, non-technical impression is that key bindings can sometimes be challenging in-browser.  However, if there's any way to do it with the "\" (start) and "]" (stop and step back a specified number of milliseconds) keys, I think that could be relatively easy and ergonomic for the user. (for this user, anyway!)  Backstep ms range should probably be 500-2500.

I think the inactivity detection and chunk size functionality is great, too, though, and could hopefully coexist with the hotkeys.

Do you prefer to have this feedback on GGroups or GH?

Best,

Zev

Mark

Dec 11, 2013, 3:59:58 PM12/11/13
to hyper...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much for your feedback Zev!

Yes, key-bindings could certainly help. We should be OK to implement them, maybe we can even allow the user to define them?! I'll add it to the list :)

(I think this is as good a place as any to discuss ideas and feedback).

Best

Mark