HYPE for Music Visualization

hornergraphic

May 30, 2011, 4:36:32 PM5/30/11
to HYPE Framework
Hi guys, I was surprised to search the group and find no results for
music visualization so I thought I would start a discussion on this
topic as HYPE is so fantastic for it!

Anyone wanting to get into music visualization should start with
Branden's fantastic introductory video of the SoundAnalyzer class on
Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/channels/hype#7600814

This will give you a solid understanding of how to use it and some of
the genius that went into making this class as awesome as it is.

I'm only getting started in HYPE but I've done a couple of visualizers
that might be interesting for people, I've documented my process here:

http://www.hornergraphic.com/2011/04/new-zealand-music-month-visualizer/

After that I wanted to add a 3D element, so I contacted Nolan Butcher
and got permission to use his code which shows how you can use the
SoundAnalyzer to modify geometry in a Papervision scene, definitely
worth a look:

http://flexgraphix.com/blog/?p=101

And it didn't take me long after that to get to evolve it into this:

http://www.hornergraphic.com/2011/05/hype-framework-3d-music-visualizer/

A couple of things that aren't essential but really help your
development is having a configurator (I can recommend MinimalComps) on
your front end and an easy way to try a lot of different music (get a
SoundCloud API token and start streaming ;) through your visualizer so
you can get your parameters just right.

That's what I've done so far, but what I really want to see is what
everyone else is up to! Please post up links of your music
visualization work, your play, and your problems!
Message has been deleted