AGU session H042 - Causality in the Geosciences: Peeking into Complex System Dynamics in the Water Cycle

David K

Jul 13, 2024, 4:54:29 PM (2 days ago) Jul 13
to Hydrologic Science
Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to submit abstracts to our session in this coming AGU: Causality in the Geosciences: Peeking into Complex System Dynamics in the Water Cycle

Invited speakers:
- Theodore Shepherd (University of Reading)
- Tammy Yuan (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory)
Deadline: Wednesday, 31 July, 2024

Session description:
The study of causality is imperative for understanding complex environmental systems, including the attribution of past events and the prediction of future behavior under changing environmental conditions. Causal approaches are increasingly practical thanks to the rapidly-expanding availability of observational and simulated data, and to ongoing methodology development. We welcome contributions that cover any aspect of the geosciences that relate to the water cycle, including but not limited to its intersection with energy, climate, watersheds, agriculture, ecosystems, and extreme events. We encourage contributions that 1) use causal methods to study environmental systems that relate to the water cycle and how they respond to climate change and natural disasters, 2) assess the performance of different causal methods on climate and hydrological data, or 3) investigate the integration of deep learning and other machine learning techniques within causal frameworks.

We are looking forward to your cool studies!

AGU2024_causalityhydro.png

Best regards,

Session conveners:

Leila Hernandez Rodriguez (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory)

Mohammed Ombadi (University of Michigan)

Hoshin Gupta (University of Arizona)

Rebecca Herman (DLR)

Peishi Jiang (Pacific Northwest National Laboratory)