Call for participation: Innovations in Remote and Online Education by Hydrologic Scientists special topic in Frontiers in Environmental Science

Dee Kay

Sep 22, 2021, 2:29:09 PM9/22/21
to Hydrologic Science
Dear colleagues,

I know that the last 18 months have challenged us as educators like never before, but I am so impressed by the way that the hydrologic science community has risen to the challenge. The work that so many have done to find innovative ways to teach our students online has the potential for a lasting transformative impact on hydrology education. I also know that our community will benefit most if we share our stories about what new tools we've developed and approaches we've tried, and what works (and what doesn't).

That's why I'm excited about the research topic I'm co-editing in Frontiers in Environmental Science, and I hope you'll be part of it. We are not just looking for educational research articles (though those are great!), but also your perspectives, curriculum/materials, and lessons learned. If you've done something you think worked really well, this is the place to share it. If you tried something and you felt it could have gone better, this is the place to share it. Please join us in making this a comprehensive and useful special issue for hydrology educators now and in the future.

The COVID-19 pandemic caused most universities to shift rapidly to remote instruction. With little time to prepare, water resources and hydrology instructors quickly identified, modified, and developed remote content and related instructional strategies. Fortunately, the hydrologic science community already had many resources in place for remote learning. While early adopters have improved online education for many years, the ubiquitous pandemic pivot yielded rapid, diverse innovations in instructional resources and methods.

This Research Topic will focus on practitioner and research perspectives of the experiences, resources, and strategies of instructors, instructional designers, and students associated with the rapid transition to remote and online teaching and learning during the pandemic. We welcome contributions from educational researchers as well as the creators and users of new and new-to-them technologies, materials, and teaching strategies that emerged in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The perspectives of instructors, students, instructional designers, graduate supervisors, and more are encouraged.

Contributions are encouraged across a range of modes, including (but not limited to):

• Perspectives on experiences transitioning to remote and online teaching and learning
• Research documenting best practices and/or impacts of the transition to remote and online education
• Research examining the effectiveness of online curriculum, delivery, or instructional materials
• Documented curriculum or instructional materials developed for remote and online instruction
• Synthesis of opportunities to leverage ‘lessons learned’ for improved education in the future

The goal is to share experiences, resources, and lessons learned from the rapid transition to online hydrologic science education in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, thereby supporting improvements in future online learning materials and experiences.

Contributors will be encouraged to share teaching materials described in Research Topic articles via the HydroShare educational resource collection or HydroLearn to ensure they are discoverable and accessible, alongside pre-existing resources. Contributions that share teaching materials via supplemental materials or other databases will also be welcomed.

Manuscripts due 15 February 2022
The COVID-19 pandemic caused most universities to shift rapidly to remote instruction. With little time to prepare, water resources and hydrology instructors quickly identified, modified, and developed remote content and related instructional strategies. Fortunately, the hydrologic science community already had many resources in place for remote learning. While early adopters have improved ...

Anne Jefferson * ajef...@kent.edu
Assistant Chair * Associate Professor
Department of Geology * Kent State University