AGU Session Announcement: H020 - Advances in Tracer Methods and Modeling of Hydrological Processes, Chemical Weathering, and Hydrochronology

David K

Jul 12, 2024, 12:15:42 PM (4 days ago) Jul 12
to Hydrologic Science

Hello!

We will be organizing a session at this year’s AGU Fall Meeting about the use of tracers, isotopes, and residence times to advance our understanding of hydrological processes.

H020 - Advances in Tracer Methods and Modeling of Hydrological Processes, Chemical Weathering, and Hydrochronology

https://agu.confex.com/agu/agu24/prelim.cgi/Session/225752

The session abstract is below. Please submit an abstract if you think your research would be a good fit. We welcome abstracts that cross traditional boundaries between ecohydrology, unsaturated zone, surface water, and groundwater hydrology, dealing with theoretical concepts, tracer studies or numerical model investigations of water residence times. The abstract deadline is Wednesday, 31 July 2024 (23:59 EDT/03:59 +1 GMT)

More info about the sessions is here: https://www.agu.org/Fall-Meeting/Pages/Schedule-Events/Session-Guide

We hope you can join us at the 2024 AGU Fall Meeting, 9-13 December, in Washington D.C.

Thanks,

Ate, Jennifer, Minseok, and Jory

Session Abstract:

Hydrological metrics constrain problems of water security and water quality, which directly impact ecological and social wellbeing. Stable, radioactive and radiogenic isotopes, trace elements and noble gases are routinely utilized within the hydrologic sciences to quantify subsurface flow paths, sources, residence times and reactive processes. The last decade has seen transformative advancements in analytical techniques, experimental design, and new interpretation, analysis, and modeling approaches. These can more accurately resolve the coupled structure of fluid transport and solute transformation across a broad range of scales. This session invites presentations that highlight how novel isotopic tracers, trace elements and noble gasses in field systems, laboratory experiments and numerical models offer new insights into the linkages between hydrology, ecology, reactive solute and contaminant transport, and resource sustainability. We particularly encourage presentations that seek to connect scientific results to environmental stewardship and societal benefit.

Conveners

Ate Visser
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Jory Chapin Lerback