What kind of temperature should be used for a HBV model in Hydromad

guobin...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2022, 4:14:44 AM6/12/22
to hydromad users
Hi all,
I am confused about what kind of temperature should be used in an HBV model in hydromad. In the help, it tells us that for the DATA Arguments,  a time-series like object with columns P (precipitation in mm), T (average air temperature in ºC), and E (potential evapotranspiration in mm) is needed. However, for other models like IHACRES in hydromad, I am recommended to use Maximum Temperature + P.  Then, how about combining P+ Maximum Temperature + E for the HBV model ? Can I use Maximum temperature (like other models, such as IHACRES, and Sacromento) instead of average air temperature? Thanks very much!

Cheers,
Binbin

Alex

Jun 13, 2022, 10:37:08 AM6/13/22
to hydromad users
The implementation of HBV hydromad follows the design of HBV light as described in Seibert and Vis 2012 (https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-16-3315-2012). If you don't have average air temperature, an approximation you can use is the average of the daily maximum and minimum temperature.

Alternatively, you could calculate potential ET with your preferred method and the HBV model will use that if provided.

guobin...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2022, 9:02:22 PM6/13/22
to hydromad users
Thanks, Alex.
So can I use three-column (P+Q+ET, without T) in DATA arguments to construct HBV model?  Is the average air temperature necessary if I have potential ET?

Binbin

Alex

Jun 14, 2022, 2:16:47 AM6/14/22
to hydromad users
Average air temperature is not needed to calculate PET if you supply PET in DATA, however the temperature column is still required for the snow routine. If snow simulation is not necessary or wanted then you can just provide a value to above the snowfall threshold parameter (tt) (e.g. could be your max temperature vector).

guobin...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2022, 4:44:41 AM6/14/22
to hydromad users
Thank you very much for your help!

Binbin

Mehnaz Akhter

Nov 19, 2022, 1:25:52 PM11/19/22
to hydromad users
How to use HBV through hydromad.R shows hbv.sim function not found

Alex

Nov 20, 2022, 10:24:00 AM11/20/22
to hydromad users
As per my other reply, try installing using:

devtools::install_github('josephguillaume/hydromad')

or

options(repos=c("https://hydromad.github.io",getOption("repos")))
install.packages("hydromad")

Mehnaz Akhter