EGU 2021 | Spatial Extremes

manuela....@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2020, 10:28:43 PM12/7/20
to Hydrology

European Geosciences Union
General Assembly 2021
19-30 April 2021 | Gather Online

Session: HS7.8
Spatial extremes in the hydro- and atmosphere: understanding and modelling

Co-organized by NH1 | AS4

Dear colleagues,

We convene a broad and interdisciplinary session focusing on spatial extremes.

Floods, droughts, storms, or heatwaves often affect large regions therefore causing large damages and costs. Hazard and risk assessments, aiming at reducing the negative consequences of such extreme events, are often performed with a focus on one location despite the spatial nature of extreme events. While spatial extremes receive a lot of attention by the media, little is known about their driving factors and it remains challenging to assess their risk by modelling approaches. Key challenges in advancing our understanding of spatial extremes and in developing new modeling approaches include the definition of multivariate events, the quantification of spatial dependence, the dealing with large dimensions, the introduction of flexible dependence structures, the estimation of their probability of occurrence, the identification of potential drivers for spatial dependence, and linking different spatial scales.

We kindly invite you to contribute to Spatial Extremes. To submit your abstract (deadline: Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021) please click:

Submit abstract

We are very much looking forward to your abstracts!

Kind regards,

Manuela Irene Brunner
Andras Bardossy
Philippe Naveau