vEGU2021 interdisciplinary session: BG3.17/HS10/NH8 “Complex case studies for ecosystem responses to climate and hydrological extremes”

Ján Szolgay

Jan 11, 2021, 7:43:38 AM1/11/21
to Hydrology

Dear colleagues,

Apologies for any cross-posting. We would like to encourage you to submit an abstract to the interdisciplinary session: BG3.17/HS10/NH8 “Complex case studies for ecosystem responses to climate and hydrological extremes” at the European Geosciences Union Virtual General Assembly 2021 (19–30 April 2021), Vienna, Austria.

The session should provide a multidisciplinary platform for sharing experiences and discussing results of local and catchment scale case studies from a wider range of relevant fields. For further details on this session and instructions on how to submit an abstract please use the following link:

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU21/session/38837

The abstract submission deadline is 13th January 2021 (13:00 CET).

We are looking forward to your abstract submission and hope you will take part in our session. Please, share this message amongst your colleagues. Below please find the details of the session.

We look forward to seeing you at vEGU21!

Best regards,

Convener: Adrienn Horváth

Co-conveners: Zoltán Gribovszki, Péter Kalicz, Dejan Stojanovic, Jan Szolgay

BG3.17 Co-organized by HS10/NH8

Complex case studies for ecosystem responses to climate and hydrological extremes

The changes in return period of climate and hydrological extremes has been observed in the changing climate, which affect the distribution and vitality of ecosystems. In many regions, available water is a crucial point of survival, especially in forests. Risk can be enhanced by the exposure and/or by the vulnerability of the affected ecosystem as well as by land use/land cover change.

The session should provide a multidisciplinary platform for sharing experiences and discussing results of local and catchment scale case studies from a wider range of relevant fields such as

• observed impacts and damage chains in natural, agricultural, and forest ecosystems induced by droughts and intense rainfall events;
• correlation between the underlying environmental factors (e.g. climate, soil parameters, topographic factors) and the distribution/vitality of ecosystems;
• integrated application or comparison of databases and methods for the identification and complex assessment of ecosystem responses to abiotic stress factors;
• contribution to the increase of knowledge of adaptive forestry, the sustainability of management, and the conservation and improvement of mixed forests to support rural development;

Contributions are encouraged from international experiences, ongoing research activities as well as national, regional, and local initiatives.