Scheduling a GeoConcerns Sprint

Eliot Jordan

Feb 8, 2016, 3:49:53 PM2/8/16
to Hydra GIS Working Group
Geo Enthusiasts -

Riding the geo-rainbow waves from a very successful Geo4LibCamp at Stanford, I am working to schedule a second code sprint for GeoConcerns, the hydra/pcdm geospatial project. If we can swing it, I would like to should shoot for a full week (five day) sprint with a short planning meeting (~ 1 hour) a few days before. The Hydra GIS Data Modeling Working Group has set this year's Open Repositories Conference (June 13-16) as a target date for a functioning initial version of the software to demo to the wider community. I chose three week-long blocks in February and March. If these don't work out, I'll try again with a different set of dates. If you would like to participate, please add your name to this Doodle poll:

Some things that we might work on:
  • Deciding on vocabularies and terms for geo-specific metadata elements. For example, should we describe the bounding-box element using georss:box or geojson:bbox?
  • If we decide that we would like to use the GeoJSON-LD vocabulary for some of our elements, we could contribute to the project to help nudge it towards a 1.0 release.
  • Finalizing what we consider the minimum required metadata for objects and completing the code for extracting that data from ISO and FGDC documents.
  • Automated geospatial derivative generation. Creating thumbnails from shapefiles. Reprojection of raster and vector data into WGS84 for display.
  • Borrowing code from Stanford's GIS robot suite for loading data into GeoServer and for sending records to Solr for use in search and discovery applications (GeoBlacklight, OpenGeoPortal).
  • Synchronizing with OpenGeoMetadata repositories.
  • Building a vagrant and/or docker implementation of the stack for demonstration and testing.
I cobbled this list together from discussions at Geo4Lib, notes from previous working group sessions, and tickets from the first GeoConcerns sprint last year. It certainly isn't complete and is more than a little ambitious for five days of work, but it does give a sense of the goals for the project and the direction we would like to head in. If you have thoughts or ideas on what we should be working on, please get in touch. Even better, consider participating in the planning session or the sprint itself!

- Eliot Jordan
_______
Geospatial Infrastructure Developer
Princeton University Library