geoconcerns questions

James, Eric

Feb 7, 2017, 5:51:54 PM2/7/17
to hydra-gis-w...@googlegroups.com

Geomodeling group,

Good to see this group’s representation at geo4libcamp.  Came back from the conference wanting to adopt geoconcerns.  Got a chance to kick the tires today, would like to get some feedback on these issues:

  1. Thinking of how the data model holds for hierarchical material.  All is well if you create a vector work with an index map with links to the child sheets (ImageWorks) in the shp file attributes.  However at Yale don’t have the resources up front to create the index maps yet and we need an interim solution.  Two options come to mind that I don’t think are currently supported. a) Create a Vector work absent the index shp file and attach the multiple image works to the vector work, and later attach the shp file. b) Add images works to a collection, make the collection discoverable like a sheet and later attach the index map vector to the collection in a way that distinguishes between the vector index map and the multiple child image works.  In the latter 2 cases the geoconcerns data model is broken, and it’d probably require some change to the gbl interface in displaying the list of the children. Thoughts?
  2. Geoconcerns offers multi-valued fields where the gbl-schema has single value fields for: dc_identifier_s, dc_title_s,dc_rights_s, dc_description_s, dc_language_s, dc_publisher_s.  To accommodate should geoconcerns restrict to single value fields for these? Or could the gbl-schema be modified to make these multivalued fields in solr?
  3. We have some cases where there are multiple locations (MARC 34).  Could the location chooser map in geoconcerns be made multiple and similarly make the solr_geom multiple as well?
  4. “Your Institution” appears hardcoded for provenance,uuid and layer slug.  This should be configurable.  Just need to track this down.
  5. I successfully checked that the /geoblacklight endpoint worked for creating the mapping to gbl-schema json, but the test objects did not make it into to the gbl-solr instance!?  Not sure if this is a config issue, or messaging is not working, or what.  Any pointers here would be appreciated.
  6. In attaching files to Image works the only options are JPEG and TIFF.  We need JP2.  Is it as simple as adding JP2 to whatever list is generating the options or is there some related derivative generation that needs to be set up as well?
  7. The primary use case we have are scanned maps to be delivered by iiif image api as indicated in dct_references.  The what will be JP2s would get ingested into fedora4 to which the iiif server would be configured, but I am also thinking of leveraging amazon s3 buckets for this.  One of the things in my agenda is to add a iiif server to this geoconcerns stack.
  8. FYI, Another thing on my todo list (which doesn’t apply to other institutions) is to add a field that takes an identifier from our catalog application and basically does everything in geoconcerns on the fly through mapping to the metadata database and binaries on filesystem and in fedora 3.

Anyway I would really, really appreciate any feedback.  I have the rest of this week to explore this, then will be on another project for ~6 weeks, but let me know if there’s anything more formally I can do to elevate and address these issues.

-Eric

Darren Hardy PhD

Feb 8, 2017, 4:47:23 PM2/8/17
to James, Eric, hydra-gis-w...@googlegroups.com

> On Feb 7, 2017, at 2:51 PM, James, Eric <eric....@yale.edu> wrote:
>
> Geomodeling group,
>
> Good to see this group’s representation at geo4libcamp. Came back from the conference wanting to adopt geoconcerns. Got a chance to kick the tires today, would like to get some feedback on these issues:
>
> • Thinking of how the data model holds for hierarchical material. All is well if you create a vector work with an index map with links to the child sheets (ImageWorks) in the shp file attributes. However at Yale don’t have the resources up front to create the index maps yet and we need an interim solution. Two options come to mind that I don’t think are currently supported. a) Create a Vector work absent the index shp file and attach the multiple image works to the vector work, and later attach the shp file. b) Add images works to a collection, make the collection discoverable like a sheet and later attach the index map vector to the collection in a way that distinguishes between the vector index map and the multiple child image works. In the latter 2 cases the geoconcerns data model is broken, and it’d probably require some change to the gbl interface in displaying the list of the children. Thoughts?

Good point. The data model assumes you have a RasterWork for any ImageWork. We could change the data model to allow for a VectorWork to link to ImageWorks (plural, as parents?). GeoBlacklight also doesn’t support index maps well — namely, it doesn’t have a good UI for displaying an index map and its child map sheets.

> • Geoconcerns offers multi-valued fields where the gbl-schema has single value fields for: dc_identifier_s, dc_title_s,dc_rights_s, dc_description_s, dc_language_s, dc_publisher_s. To accommodate should geoconcerns restrict to single value fields for these? Or could the gbl-schema be modified to make these multivalued fields in solr?

I’ve been confused about this too. Part of the issue is that CurationConcerns defines some of these metadata as multi-valued. Aside for supporting multiple languages for the metadata itself, I don’t understand the use case for multiple descriptions, for example.

> • We have some cases where there are multiple locations (MARC 34). Could the location chooser map in geoconcerns be made multiple and similarly make the solr_geom multiple as well?

You might be able to leverage a multi-polygon in the Solr data type, but I’m not sure offhand.

> • “Your Institution” appears hardcoded for provenance,uuid and layer slug. This should be configurable. Just need to track this down.
> • I successfully checked that the /geoblacklight endpoint worked for creating the mapping to gbl-schema json, but the test objects did not make it into to the gbl-solr instance!? Not sure if this is a config issue, or messaging is not working, or what. Any pointers here would be appreciated.
> • In attaching files to Image works the only options are JPEG and TIFF. We need JP2. Is it as simple as adding JP2 to whatever list is generating the options or is there some related derivative generation that needs to be set up as well?

I think this is configurable in lib/generators/geo_concerns/templates/config/authorities/image_formats.yml

> • The primary use case we have are scanned maps to be delivered by iiif image api as indicated in dct_references. The what will be JP2s would get ingested into fedora4 to which the iiif server would be configured, but I am also thinking of leveraging amazon s3 buckets for this. One of the things in my agenda is to add a iiif server to this geoconcerns stack.

I think this is analogous to GeoServer — basically you need to register the data files with an external server. See app/services/geo_concerns/delivery/geoserver.rb

Hope that helps,
-Darren

> • FYI, Another thing on my todo list (which doesn’t apply to other institutions) is to add a field that takes an identifier from our catalog application and basically does everything in geoconcerns on the fly through mapping to the metadata database and binaries on filesystem and in fedora 3.
>
> Anyway I would really, really appreciate any feedback. I have the rest of this week to explore this, then will be on another project for ~6 weeks, but let me know if there’s anything more formally I can do to elevate and address these issues.
>
> -Eric

John Huck

Feb 8, 2017, 5:58:44 PM2/8/17
to Darren Hardy PhD, James, Eric, hydra-gis-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

Great to see you as well and glad to hear that you came away with some geoconcerns inspiration.

>       • Thinking of how the data model holds for hierarchical material.

I agree that this is a gap in our model that would be great to address. There were a lot of good ideas that came out of the Index map panel at geo4libCamp in this area. In particular I'm thinking of Tom Brittnacher's presentation, which included PCDM modelling diagrams that make sense to me. I believe DCE may be working with Tom on this; perhaps Bess can shed some more light on this.

In Tom's modelling, the map set is a pcdm:Object, and the sheets are also pcdm:Object, connected to the set with pcdm:hasMember. This means pcdm:Collection is still available in order to group the map set with other resources (e.g., other map sets). The index sheet is linked with pcdm:hasRelatedObject.

pcdm:hasRelatedObject does not limit what kind of object the index could be. It could be vector (most likely), but it could be any of our other types as well.

I think it would be great if geoConcerns could incorporate this modelling to accommodate map sets. Does that seem feasible?

>       • Geoconcerns offers multi-valued fields where the gbl-schema has single value fields

I seem to recall that this came up before and the answer we heard was something along the lines of: RDF isn't designed to support cardinality restrictions. Maybe there's something more in our notes.

Regards,

John

John Huck
Metadata & Cataloguing Librarian
University of Alberta Libraries
5-25E Cameron Library

James, Eric

Feb 10, 2017, 11:35:39 AM2/10/17
to hydra-gis-w...@googlegroups.com

That you for the responses Eliot, Darren, John.  Will be taking all this in consideration, may have followups later.

One thing I should report:  Initially the /new Image and /Raster enpoints were working.  Then I made some (what I think) was unrelated changes, and they stopped working with a “missing work_presesnter_class” error.  I made the following changes and got it working again.  One of the reasons I mention, is it appears, even though it worked at first, that the Image and Raster Work class aren’t matched to their respective work_presenter class.

   class GeoConcernsShowPresenter < CurationConcerns::WorkShowPresenter

     delegate :spatial, :temporal, :issued, :coverage, :provenance, :layer_modified,

              :identifier, to: :solr_document

-    class_attribute :file_format_service

+    class_attribute :file_format_service, :work_presenter_class

 module GeoConcerns

   class ImageWorkShowPresenter < GeoConcernsShowPresenter

-    self.work_presenter_class = ::GeoConcerns::RasterWorkShowPresenter

+    self.work_presenter_class = ::GeoConcerns::ImageWorkShowPresenter

 module GeoConcerns

   class RasterWorkShowPresenter < GeoConcernsShowPresenter

-    self.work_presenter_class = ::GeoConcerns::VectorWorkShowPresenter

+    self.work_presenter_class = ::GeoConcerns::RasterWorkShowPresenter

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hydra-gis-working-group/751B9547-2286-4E9E-AD5F-AF9966985EE3%40yale.edu.

John Huck

Metadata & Cataloguing Librarian

University of Alberta Libraries

5-25E Cameron Library

Eliot Jordan

Feb 10, 2017, 11:48:22 AM2/10/17
to James, Eric, hydra-gis-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric -

Yesterday was a snow day, so I didn't see your reply from earlier. Would you (and whoever) be up for a google hangout to chat about this today or sometime next week?

 - Eliot

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hydra-gis-working-group/751B9547-2286-4E9E-AD5F-AF9966985EE3%40yale.edu.

John Huck

Metadata & Cataloguing Librarian

University of Alberta Libraries

5-25E Cameron Library

James, Eric

Feb 10, 2017, 12:08:35 PM2/10/17
to Eliot Jordan, hydra-gis-w...@googlegroups.com

Hi Elliot, Would like to chat about, but won’t be able to today and will be off in San Antonio next week.  Will check in when I get back.  -Eric

From: <hydra-gis-w...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Eliot Jordan <eliot....@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, February 10, 2017 at 11:48 AM
To: Eric James <eric....@yale.edu>
Cc: "hydra-gis-w...@googlegroups.com" <hydra-gis-w...@googlegroups.com>