Workflow blogpost / screencast published

Stian Håklev

Oct 13, 2013, 10:57:05 PM10/13/13
to hyde...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

when I moved to a static site generator I really appreciated the helpful community, the number of people who made their sites and templates available on Github etc, so I want to contribute back.

I have been struggling with a good workflow for inserting images. Taking some tricks from my local wiki, which I developed a bunch of neat tools for, I came up with what I think is a really good workflow. In this blog post, I go through how I create and edit blog posts in Sublime Text, how I insert links and how I grab, resize and insert images.

I link to all the source code in my Github repository -- basically I use Ruby-scripts which read the current title of the Sublime Text window using appscript-rb, triggered by Keyboard Maestro. A bit duct-tapey, but it works wonderfully, and I find myself writing much nicer long blog posts with lots of pictures and links now than I ever did in WordPress, fiddling with the mouse, inserting links manually, etc.

This is based on nanoc, but the approach of easily inserting links and images in a Markdown text obviously applies to Hyde too, and it wouldn't be hard to replicate the few lines of Ruby code I wrote (literally less than 20) in Python ... I think the key part of this is the design and the idea, so I wanted to share it with you as well (I spent a lot of time evaluating Hyde before finally ending up with nanoc, because I was more comfortable scripting in Ruby at the time).

Blog post: http://reganmian.net/blog/2013/10/02/blogging-with-nanoc-easy-workflow-for-embedding-images/
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcLJmo3r-Ok

Would love feedback or questions,
Stian