Hyde 1.0 and Python 3.x

Lakshmi

Apr 24, 2013, 11:35:15 PM4/24/13
to hyde...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I have been thinking about making the hyde 1.0 release >=3.3 _only_.

Would it be an absolute no no for any of you? Given that most of us work in
virtualenv's and 3.3 support for most packages is already there, it does not
seem like a big deal.

Is it an absolute no for anyone?

Thanks
Lakshmi

Dave Fowler

Apr 25, 2013, 12:50:54 AM4/25/13
to hyde...@googlegroups.com
Lakshmi,

For us it would be a bit of a pain, but it wouldn't be the end of the world either.  We'll just have to document the install instructions a bit better to include a virtualenv setup for those unfamiliar.

Are there any major benefits with going with 3.3?  I'm happy to help test and support 2.7 if its more of a support issue.

Looking forward to the latest changes!

Dave @ Chartio

Lakshmi

Lakshmi Vyas

Apr 25, 2013, 1:09:20 AM4/25/13
to hyde...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

Yes, the main benefit is ease of maintenance.

There are some nice goodies like collections.ChainMap that provide a perfect
data structure for hyde's hierarchical metadata. This means an equivalent needs
to be present in the code base for 2.7 compatibility.

I am also setting up things for the long haul to make it as easy as possible to
push out new releases. Lesser versions = lesser testing = faster release.

Also, with python 3.x's yield-from, the language kind of splits into
new vs legacy, it seems like now is a good point in time to make
a choice.

----

I have also come to the realization that there are no css compilers equivalent to
`stylus` in the python land - so I am building something to fill the gap there (There
are other reasons for this - I will elaborate in a different email when I have a working
version) .

It seems like there is a lot to gain by sticking to a single python version.

Thanks
Lakshmi.

Dave Fowler

Apr 25, 2013, 1:18:01 AM4/25/13