DIY, cheap, safe “Mosquito Bucket of Doom”

Miriam Mimms

May 17, 2022, 4:43:33 PM5/17/22
to Hwen, BHN
Dear Neighbors,

Please see the information below from our neighbor, Certified Tennessee Naturalist and nature blogger Jo Brichetto, on how to safely keep mosquitos at bay this summer. The timing couldn’t be better!

——————-
Miriam Mimms

C802DE5C-BE4D-4CD0-9D03-7A7EBFF81617.JPG

Dear Neighbors,

I share below my "Mosquito Bucket of Doom" info, in case you missed it at the HWEN Garden Tour. It's a quick, easy, cheap, and super-SAFE way to reduce the mosquito population in our yards.
Your bucket + water + handful of weeds + BTi dunk.
I am hoping that HWEN and BHN Gardeners can be a "bucket "brigade,"  so if you make one, will you let me know? I'll keep track.

The more buckets, the fewer mosquitoes! The more buckets, the fewer toxic sprays that kill all small creatures, disrupt the foodweb, and poison our watersheds.

The active ingredient is BTi, which targets *only* mosquitoes, and it kills them while they are in their larval stage. Larvicides are far more effective than adulticides (the sprays). BTi will not harm any other creatures.

I'm happy to answer any questions at any stage of your bucket DIY.

I buy my BTi dunks at Hillsboro Hardware, but any hardware store should sell them.

Thanks for reading,
Jo
—-
Joanna Brichetto