HWEN September Update

hwen

Sep 23, 2022, 1:34:14 PM9/23/22
to hwen
Dear Neighbors,

We hope that this message finds everyone well.   The Hillsboro-West End Neighborhood Association has been busy with various projects around the neighborhood, and we’d like to share a few updates.

As always, more information can be found at our website, hwen.org.

Upcoming Events:

Saturday, September 24, 2 - 4pm:  The annual Irish Park memorial HWEN plant swap will be held at the home of Russanne Buchi- Fotré, 3005 “little” Blakemore.  Bring what you can, take what you like!

Sunday, October, 16, 3:30 - 6pm:  Dragon Music Sunday at Fannie Mae Dees Park.  This year’s festivities will feature Nashville's "Uncle Van Panic" playing Sunday Songs of Van Morrison, The Grateful Dead and Widespread Panic.  Metro Jambands will open.

Thursday, October 20, at 7pm on Zoom:  HWEN will be hosting a presentation and Q&A from the Metro Historic Zoning Commission.  Representatives from Historic will share information and answer questions about our neighborhood’s historic overlay, the commission’s policies and procedures, and how neighbors can participate in the process.  Join the meeting here (meeting ID: 869 5082 9178; passcode: dragon).

Traffic Calming on Fairfax

As many neighbors already know, the Metro Nashville Neighborhood Street Calming Program recently selected Fairfax Avenue as a site for additional traffic calming efforts.  On September 7, the HWEN Streets Committee and Councilmember Tom Cash cohosted a neighborhood meeting to discuss potential options, which include speed humps and/or modifications to the existing “chicane” lines.

Metro Nashville is now revising their proposal, which they will share with the neighborhood at a second community meeting later this fall.  If the final proposal contains physical changes to the street (such as speed humps), it will then need to be approved by a vote of Fairfax property owners before being implemented.

The Streets Committee is currently gathering more community and expert input to share with Metro as they revise their proposal.  If you would like to be involved in this conversation, please contact Streets co-chair Lee Vinson at l...@vinson.net.

Trees!

Keep an eye out for lots of new trees at the Village Church’s historic St. Bernard Convent property.  The HWEN Beautification Committee and the Village Church partnered on a successful application to The Roots Nashville/Cumberland River Compact grant for a total of twenty-five new trees.

Triangle Park

The HWEN Beautification committee is scheduling fall Triangle gardening days for (either or both) October 1 and October 15.  Neighborhood volunteers are especially welcomed and will be treated like royalty! Contact Chad or Miriam to help: chad....@att.net or miria...@comcast.net.

The Dragon

Thanks to neighborhood generosity, HWEN is able to fund ongoing maintenance of our beautiful dragon sculpture.  If you are at Dragon Park this October, you will see master restorer Tony Novak replacing tiles, patching cracks, and carefully tending to this neighborhood treasure.

Finally, if you know anyone who is new to the neighborhood, please encourage them to visit hwen.org, where they can easily sign up for this listserv.  You can also reach us at hwen...@gmail.com.

Warmly,
Jenny Cheng and Margaret Philips
2022 HWEN Co-Chairs