July 31 Vanderbilt Implosion - Road Closures

Jessica McDuffie-Massey

Jul 26, 2021, 4:05:24 PM7/26/21
to hw...@googlegroups.com, Margaret Phillips, Aidan Hoyal

A controlled implosion of Vanderbilt University’s Carmichael Towers East will take place on Saturday, July 31, to make way for a new world-class residential college on campus. The implosion is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m.

To keep residents and pedestrians safe, certain roads and sidewalks will be closed by 8 a.m. July 31 until an all-clear for West End Avenue traffic is announced, which should occur no later than noon. For safety reason, there will be no designated public viewing areas for this event.

The following streets and sidewalks will be closed to both vehicular and pedestrian traffic:

  • West End Avenue between 23rd Avenue North and 25th Avenue North
  • 24th Avenue North between West End Avenue and Elliston Place
  • 25th Avenue South between West End Avenue and Jess Neely Drive

Nashville and Vanderbilt University police will be on hand to direct traffic flow and enforce the perimeter. The following temporary traffic patterns have been designated for the day of the implosion:

Map of designated traffic flow for Carmichael Towers East implosion on July 31, 2021.Map of designated traffic flow for Carmichael Towers East implosion on July 31.

  • Traffic traveling eastbound on West End Avenue will be directed to 25th Avenue North to Elliston Place, then east to 23rd Avenue North to West End Avenue.
  • Traffic traveling westbound on West End Avenue will be directed to 23rd Avenue North to Elliston Place, then west to 25th Avenue North to West End Avenue.
  • Traffic on 25th Avenue South will be directed to Jess Neely Drive, then to Natchez Trace to West End Avenue, or to Highland Avenue to 24th Avenue South to Blakemore Avenue.

Residential colleges experience

This implosion continues the transformation of Vanderbilt’s West End Neighborhood and the expansion of the university’s residential colleges experience. Residential College C, which is scheduled to open in fall 2024, will be the fourth residential college along West End Avenue. E. Bronson Ingram College opened in 2018, Nicholas S. Zeppos College opened in fall 2020, and Rothschild College will open in fall 2022.

The 14-story Carmichael Towers East saw its last residents at the end of the spring 2021 semester. The Carmichael Towers West towers were demolished in July 2019.

--
Jessica McDuffie-Massey

Christine Irizarry

Jul 27, 2021, 9:27:12 AM7/27/21
to hw...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I just saw a post by a certain Amy Borger Gilligan on the Middle Tennessee Facebook group stating that she was asked by a Metro department (unclear which one) to remove her pollinator plants from her front yard.

On Sunday I bicycled along 25th Ave S and 26th and noticed that, indeed, a few neighbors have removed their front lawns on their properties on the back streets in HWEN and planted flowers. (For me, living at Leah Rose Residence and bicyling to the Green Hills library where I work, it means a bit less noise and exhaust fumes from constant landscaping, mowing, whacking and blowing 12 hours a day Monday through Saturday, and is a positive.)

My questions (as a library person who might have to answer this question at the desk): what are the guidelines for beautification? Are pollinator areas authorized? Is it a matter of height of plants or species? Or trees?

Just curious,

Christine

---
Christine Irizarry
Nashville, TN 37212

Cash, Thomas (Council Member)

Jul 27, 2021, 1:05:14 PM7/27/21
to hw...@googlegroups.com, ci1...@gmail.com
Christine and all- I think this is what you’re referring to- the Intentional Design for Vegetative Growth Program that allows homeowners to plan vegetative growth that might not otherwise comply with Codes “overgrowth” rules.

See below. The guidelines and process are attached. Metro’s Horticulturist, Jennifer Smith, can be contacted with specific questions and interest in the program at Jennife...@Nashville.gov.

Tom Cash
Councilman, District 18

Get Outlook for iOS