Are recursive mathematical compression algorithms not allowed?

Rich Wagner

Aug 7, 2021, 8:49:47 PM8/7/21
to Hutter Prize
Hello!

I've been working on and off (in my spare time) on a lossless compression/decompression algorithm for around 10 years. I've been re-reading the FAQ's and submission requirements in preparation for submittal to the competition. I intend on releasing it under an open and free license on github.

I was reading under the FAQ for recursive and mathematical algorithms which states the kolmogorov complexity theory for these kind of compressions is impossible. Given that FAQ segment, will my algorithm not be accepted into the contest?

Thanks and looking forward to discuss this with you all further!
-Rich