Re: [HG-new] Digest for hurdygurdy@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 1 topic

Belinda Daughtry

Jan 6, 2016, 6:00:20 AM1/6/16
to hurdy...@googlegroups.com
Cali and Alden, this is one of your instruments.  Are these Pegheads on it?  They're slipping really badly.  I haven't been able to use this instrument for quite some time now, but would really like to be able to play it again.

Belinda

On Jan 6, 2016, at 1:24 AM, hurdy...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Belinda Daughtry <bgd...@charter.net>: Jan 05 03:41PM -0600

Thanks,
Belinda Daughtry
Arle Lommel <arle....@gmail.com>: Jan 05 04:58PM -0500

It's well worth doing. I think it's the best upgrade I made to my instrument. I used Pegheds, but those have become harder to get ahold of recently. They are nice because they are essentially drop-in replacements for many existing pegs (if they aren't, you'd just need to find a violin maker with peg reamers to handle shaping the holes). The make tuning so much easier and more precise.

I'm not a fan of banjo tuners (I think they look wrong on HGs), but many people do like them. From the look of your instrument, I'd probably recommend going with a 4:1 orbital peg that is designed to look like ebony (like the Pegheds). There are also 16:1 orbitals that allow for really precise tuning, but I've found 4:1 pegs to be more than precise enough without the hassle of turning and turning and turning… and turning some more when you put a new string on, like what is needed for 16:1 pegs. I have never installed banjo orbitals, so I don't know what is involved.

My guess is changing all your pegs out for good orbital pegs that look like ebony would set you back between $150 and $250 US (maybe less, but I don't want to tell you too little). I'd consider that money well spent. And if you are happy with the look of banjo orbitals, you could probably go considerably cheaper (although I would avoid most really cheap pegs).

Best,

Arle

Jon Redpath <penic...@yahoo.co.uk>: Jan 05 10:18PM

I like banjo pegs. They are on all of my gurdies. They are simple to use and I have found over many years they are quite reliable. I play every day and that a fair bit of use in cold damp Scotland. Maybe the owners of this web site would be good people to ask what is best for your particular instrument, especially if you live on their side of the pond. Enjoy you playing what ever you decide. JON

On Tuesday, 5 January 2016, 21:41, Belinda Daughtry <bgd...@charter.net> wrote:

Hello All,

I'm wanting to change the tuning pegs on my hg from friction to machine pegs.  Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "hurdygurdy" group.

Thanks,
Belinda Daughtry

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "hurdygurdy" group.
Arle Lommel <arle....@gmail.com>: Jan 05 08:20PM -0500

Jon, do you use 4:1 or 16:1?

-Arle

cali.an...@gmail.com: Jan 05 06:51PM -0800

We have been using Pegheds for years. Once we started using them we only stock banjo tuners for replacements.

Sent from my iPhone

cali.an...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2016, 9:07:51 AM1/6/16
to hurdy...@googlegroups.com
There are two reasons for Pegheds slipping. One could that the peg top is loose and needs to be pushed down into the body. The other is that the body of the Peghed is unglued from the hole that it's in. If you can see the body turning when you tighten or loosen the peg, that's what's happening.

If the body is unglued, we can send you directions for regluing.

Sent from my iPhone

Arle Lommel

Jan 6, 2016, 9:18:50 AM1/6/16
to hurdy...@googlegroups.com
I just went back and looked at Belinda's original photo and realized she does indeed seem to have Pegheds. I second Alden and Cali’s explanations, as I've had both happen.

When I recently had my instrument serviced, Balázs did something to the Pegheds that helped. Some of them had repeatedly come loose from the glue bonds, so he took a needle file and filed some light grooves in just the area where they are in contact with the wood so that there was a rougher surface for the glue to grip. I had one peg in particular that had repeatedly broken free from the glue and since then it has held much better.

-Arle

gurdymaker

Jan 7, 2016, 5:56:05 AM1/7/16
to hurdygurdy
I've never had any problems with the Peghed tuners. If they are fitted correctly so the thread on the barrel cuts into the taper of the hole, the string tension tends to tighten them in place assuming they are strung in the traditional way ( anti clockwise to tighten. ) .
There is a natural tendency to push down on the button when tuning which is standard practice for normal taper pegs but the Peghed will lock up solid if you press down hard. It then becomes very stiff to turn and there is a possibility that in trying to tighten the string,the peg can unscrew. The solution is not to press down on the button as you turn. If you have and the peg is stiff, continue to turn the peg clockwise and at the same time pull up hard on the button. This will free the mechanism again.

Arle Lommel

Jan 7, 2016, 6:19:14 AM1/7/16
to hurdy...@googlegroups.com
That's true, although I forgot that a few of my pegs were cross-threaded, because I was mistaken about which end of the pegs the threading was in reference to when I ordered them. And I think the one peg I had the most trouble with was the one that was cross-threaded.

-Arle