Re: [HG-new] Abridged summary of hurdygurdy@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 2 topics

Neil Brook

Jan 8, 2016, 6:27:48 AM1/8/16
to hurdy...@googlegroups.com
It is possible to shear the button from the shaft but you have to be quite strong and determined to do it. Possibly you pushed the button down hard enough to lock the gears  and continued to attempt to turn it ( see my earlier comment.) There is no way i know of to repair it so you may need a replacement peg.
On 8 Jan 2016, at 07:28, hurdy...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Belinda Daughtry <bgd...@charter.net>: Jan 07 07:22AM -0600

The wooden head seems to have come loose from the body of the peg, not off, but loose. It won't hold the string tension. Now that I know what I have, I'll take it to a luthier and see if they can ...more
cali.an...@gmail.com: Jan 07 09:14AM -0800

The head on a Peghed is a cast resin. It's cast around a shaft of gear material that turns the gears inside the shaft. I've never seen a head come loose from the shaft before, but there's a first time ...more
Arle Lommel <arle....@gmail.com>: Jan 07 12:17PM -0500

Reading Belinda's description, I bet your second paragraph is the problem: the head just needs to pushed in more when turning it. It's easy to miss and then wonder why it's "loose". (I also got one ...more
gurdymaker <hurdy...@talktalk.net>: Jan 07 02:56AM -0800

I've never had any problems with the Peghed tuners. If they are fitted correctly so the thread on the barrel cuts into the taper of the hole, the string tension tends to tighten them in place assuming ...more
Arle Lommel <arle....@gmail.com>: Jan 07 06:19AM -0500

That's true, although I forgot that a few of my pegs were cross-threaded, because I was mistaken about which end of the pegs the threading was in reference to when I ordered them. And I think the one ...more