Octave switching in G drone

Gašper Kvartič

Dec 11, 2017, 6:20:19 AM12/11/17
to hurdy...@googlegroups.com
Fellow hurdygurdyists,

my friend is currently building his first HG, a luteback with three chiens, some 20 strings (including the symps) and a two octave range. It already sounds wonderful, and it's just the drones!

If all goes well, he is going to start a HG workshop, the first in our country, and is now only learning about the instrument. This means meeting and solving a lot of construction issues.
What he's dealing now specifically is one of the drones (G) switching octaves while being played. The string forms a node in the middle and starts playing an octave above.

Any practical solutions? I told him to weigh down the middle of the string with something,  and the re-tune it, but this seems aesthetically unpleasing.
It also seems that the strings just don't have enough tension.

Thank you for all advice, will forward it to him (he's in the list, but kind of keeps offline).

When he officially opens his workshop, I will let you know (if he agrees) and also post some promo videos.

Cheers,

Gašper

fournierbru

Dec 11, 2017, 8:02:43 AM12/11/17
to hurdy...@googlegroups.com
need to play around with it until you get it right...combination of lowering height of bridge so string has more pressure on wheel..and /or play around with the cotton..Daniel Thomson often tells me that people put too much cotton on string..it should be just a thin veil around the string..

Bruno

Envoyé de mon appareil Samsung de Bell via le réseau le plus vaste au pays.