hurdy gurdy repairs?

Andrew Kaiser

Aug 16, 2016, 4:08:33 PM8/16/16
to hurdygurdy
Hello- I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and am looking for someone to do repairs on my hurdy gurdy.

I have a nice instrument I got about 10 years ago, and I play out at Pennsic which is a large SCA event close by my home. This year after a few minutes play, the wheel started to slip on the crank.

I think it may have been environmental at first, because this year was incredibly humid. But even now I am at home, after a few minutes the crank will turn but the wheel slips.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I can ship anywhere but if there's a maker nearer to Pittsburgh I would be interested in seeing if Ican schedule some repair work.

thanks,
andrew

Melvin Dorries

Aug 16, 2016, 5:04:50 PM8/16/16
to hurdy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,
We do repairs and make high quality custom parts and are relatively close to you in Michigan. Who is the builder?
You can contact me at:  m...@hurdygurdycrafters.com

Aug 16, 2016, 5:13:46 PM8/16/16
to hurdy...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Andrew!

I would give a strong recommendation to have Mel Dorries look at it. He
did a major upgrade to my Volksgurdy, including adding string lift
levers, adjustable bridge (no more shims!), and a buzzy bridge string
capo, and I was very pleased with his work. Enough that I eventually
bought one of his Maestro gurdies. His web site is:
http://hurdygurdycrafters.com/index.asp?fmt=large

He may be difficult to reach over the next week if he is attending the
hurdy gurdy workshop in Indiana, but he does respond to promptly to emails.

Very best regards,

-Gary P. (in rural northern Illinois near Marengo, between Elgin and
Rockford)

Gary Plazyk, g_pl...@ix.netcom.com
http://www.KishwaukeeRamblers.com

"Music is too important to leave to the professionals." -Robert Shaw

Anthony Shostak

Aug 16, 2016, 6:49:43 PM8/16/16
to hurdy...@googlegroups.com
I second that. They did a great tune up on my instrument and fixed a couple of annoying problems.

Sent from my iPad
> --
> --

> --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "hurdygurdy" group.

Felicia Dale

Aug 16, 2016, 7:12:26 PM8/16/16
to hurdy...@googlegroups.com
I completely agree with everyone here. The Dorries are wonderful folks, do excellent work (I can hardly see the many and major repairs they did to my Hackman), are reasonably priced and do the work in the time they say they will. I’d recommend them to anyone.

Good luck! I hope it’s an easy fix and you are up and playing again in no time.

Felicia.

V in

Aug 16, 2016, 7:14:04 PM8/16/16
to hurdy...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I would have Mel take a look at it as well. He really does great work.

Vince