Re: Catching up

Bela Liptak

Nov 17, 2021, 5:37:26 PM11/17/21
to jongree...@gmail.com, hungari...@googlegroups.com

Dear Jon,

On the one hand I am very sorry, on the other I am grateful that you are still working for Hungary and finding other ways to help my poor nation. Please say hello for me to Géza, who I am sure will play an important role in guiding Hungary, in spite of his "old" age of 80 (I am 85)-

As to Glasgow,the world's leaders meeting there demonstrated that they can not shake off complacency or stop living in delusion and while their behavior bordered on asking: "what did future generations ever did for us?" and while these leaders are emitting only hot air instead of taking action, the good news is, that the decent  individuals and corporations are beginning to act.: An example is the 10,000 "net zero" houses that are already built in America or the Boeing 787, which will fly on hydrogen. As to Hungary, they are still spilling methane and carbon dioxide into the air, burning Russian gas, but that too will change soon.

My third book on our invention (Oláh Gyuri started it) is coming out in March and I know that  in the 22nd century, RFC will be as widely used as the  PC is today. So, I and the Hungarian Lobby are doing what we can, as you can see that from my attached letter.

Have a glass of Tokay with Géza. so we might have a few more years to serve our beloved Hungary.

Best regards, Béla

In a message dated 11/17/2021 4:55:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, jongree...@gmail.com writes:

Dear Béla,
I apologize for not writing much sooner to report that I finally heard from the White House several weeks ago that I will not be appointed ambassador to Hungary. A different choice has been made, though I was not told the name of the fortunate individual. No public announcement has been made because the internal vetting process is still being conducted.

Of course, I am disappointed. It would have been the greatest honor of my life to serve my country in a country I love and admire for many reasons and to attempt improvement in the troubled relationship. But I shall always be grateful for the support you and others gave me.

I was asked to think about possible appointments to boards or commissions, and I have now given them several suggestions of this sort, while also saying that if the appointment that is intended for Budapest does not proceed for any reason, I would like to be considered to come off the bench as a pinch hitter.

Incidentally, we are having a fine event tomorrow in Washington with Géza Jeszenszky, who will discuss the recently published English edition of his book Lost Prestige: Hungary's changing image in Britain, 1894-1918. I will introduce him and moderate the subsequent discussion.

I tried to follow the negotiations in Glasgow the past few weeks and came away with the feeling that the product does not match what the world requires. I would be interested in your own much more knowledgeable assessment.

Again with appreciation and very best wishes,
-- Jon
Friedmann.doc