Israel/OPT: Free Palestinian aid worker falsely imprisoned

1 view

Tilly lavenas

May 3, 2023, 10:11:02 AM5/3/23
Dear Friends

Please send this letter or in your own words before 17 May. It concerns a former World Vision aid worker, who is serving a 12-year sentence in an Israeli prison after an unfair trial. His appeal is being heard two weeks.

Mohammed al-Halabi was denied access to a lawyer and held incommunicado for weeks of detention, facing intensive interrogations. According to his lawyer and media reports, he was severely beaten and his ‘confession’ to stealing 7.4 million USD a year was obtained under duress. His allegations of torture have not been investigated.

Alas, a test email to the Israeli embassy in Washington bounced. The alternatives are to mail a letter or tweet the ambassador. Thanks! Tilly & Guy

Mr Yariv Levin, Minister of Justice
Ministry of Justice, 29 Salah Al-Din St,
Jerusalem 91010
Israel
Email: s...@justice.gov.il

Dear Minister Levin,

I am deeply concerned about Mohammed al-Halabi, who is currently serving a 12-year sentence in Ramon Prison. He was convicted of terrorism charges that were unsubstantiated after a deeply flawed trial. I believe they are an attempt to de-legitimise and intimidate the humanitarian sector and its workers.

Ahead of his appeal hearing on 17 May, I urge you to quash his wrongful conviction, drop the fabricated charges and ensure his prompt release.

I look forward to hearing from you about this distressing case.

Best wishes

Please send a copy to the ambassador in your country:

HE Mrs Tzipora Hotovely
Embassy of Israel
2 Palace Green
London W8 4QB