Qatar: Two lawyers handed life sentences

1 view

Tilly lavenas

Jun 6, 2022, 10:42:18 AM6/6/22
Dear Friends
Please send this letter or in your own words on behalf of four men from the Al Murra tribe. The members of this large tribe have long faced severe discrimination and been deprived from access to education, employment, and health care. Protests erupted near Doha in August after the Qatar’s Emir ratified a law paving the way for the first legislative elections of the Shura Council. This law discriminates against members of the Al Murra tribe by excluding thousands of them from voting or running in the election.

Two brothers have been sentenced to life imprisonment on charges including contesting laws ratified by the Emir and organizing unauthorized public meetings. Two other men were handed life and 15-year prison sentences in absentia.

Thanks! Tilly & Guy

H.E. Masoud bin Mohamed al-Ameri
Ministry of Justice
PO Box 917
Doha, State of Qatar
Twitter: @mojgovqa

Your Excellency,

I was concerned about the recent convictions of four members of the Al Murra tribe. I understand that the trial was marred by many violations of due process. I was especially alarmed to learn about the long sentences that Hazza and Rashed bin Ali Abu Shurayda al-Marri received on charges relating to peaceful exercise of their rights to freedom of expression and assembly.

I urge you to immediately quash the convictions and sentences of the four men and release Hazza bin Ali Abu Shurayda al-Marri and Rashed bin Ali Abu Shurayda al-Marri.

Sincerely

Please send a copy to the ambassador in your country:

H.E. Sheikh Meshal bin Hamad Al Thani
Embassy of the State of Qatar
2555 M Street, NW
Washington, DC 20037