TANZANIA: STOP VIOLENT FORCED EVICTION OF THE MAASAI

Tilly lavenas

Jul 14, 2022, 10:45:24 AM7/14/22
Dear Friends
Please send this letter or in your own words on behalf of the more than 70,000 Indigenous Maasai people who risk being evicted from their ancestral grazing lands to make way for a luxury game reserve. In 1992 the Tanzanian government leased the whole of the Loliondo division as a hunting block to a company from the United Arab Emirates. Thanks! Tilly & Guy

HE Suluhu Samia Hassan
President's Office
Utumishi Street, P.O Box 670
Dodoma, Tanzania
Email: p...@utumishi.go.tz
Twitter: @SuluhuSamia

Your Excellency,

I’m deeply concerned about the forced evictions of more than 70,000 Maasai from their ancestral homes and the recent arrests and detention of 25 members of the Maasai community in Loliondo. I understand protesters were met with a massive use of force by security officers, and over the next two days dozens of people were injured.

I urge you to immediately stop these forced evictions, to order the release of the Maasai community members and to launch an investigation into the security crackdown.

I also call on the Tanzanian authorities to suspend any land acquisition plans until the Maasai community has given their free, prior and informed consent in genuine consultations.

Sincerely

Please send a copy to the ambassador in your country:

HE Elsie Sia Kanza
Embassy of the United Republic of Tanzania
1232 22nd Street, NW
Washington D.C 20037
uba...@tanzaniaembassy-us.orgwashi...@nje.go.tz
@tzembassyus

HE Dr Asha-Rose Migiro
High Commission of the United Republic of Tanzania
3 Stratford Place
London  W1C 1AS
tan...@tzhc.uk

For more information about Amnesty’s Urgent Action 35/22, 13 July 2022: https://www.amnesty.org.uk/press-releases/tanzania-forceful-eviction-indigenous-maasai-people-tourist-development-must-be