PAKISTAN: Young single mother held without charge

Tilly lavenas

Mar 28, 2023, 6:43:20 AM3/28/23
Dear Friends

A 28-year-old Baloch activist has been detained after her home was unlawfully raided last month. Mahal Baloch’s two young daughters were separated from her and held for one night. Mahal remains in custody without charge. She has participated in many protests, specifically against enforced disappearances which plague Balochistan. Amnesty has previously documented how enforced disappearances of students, activists, journalists and human rights defenders continue relentlessly in the province.

Thanks! Tilly & Guy

Honourable Rana Sanaullah Khan
Minister of Interior
R-Block Pak Secretariat
Constitution Ave,
Islamabad, Pakistan
Email: secr...@interior.gov.pk

Dear Honourable Rana Sanaullah Khan,

I am extremely concerned about Mahal Baloch, a 28-year-old Baloch woman and single mother who, as you may know, has been arbitrarily detained without charge for more than a month by the CTD in Quetta.

Mahal’s prolonged detention is a violation of international fair trial standards and Pakistan’s legal international human rights obligations including under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

I urge you to immediately release Mahal, unless there is admissible evidence that she has committed an internationally recognized offence. Until that time, I ask you to ensure a fair trial and access to a bail hearing.

Sincerely

Please send a copy to the ambassador in your country:

HE Mr Moazzam Ahmad Khan
High Commission for the Islamic Republic of Pakistan
35-36 Lowndes Square
London SW1X 9JN
phcl...@phclondon.org
Twitter: @PakistaninUK

Mr. Salman Sharif, Counsellor political I
Embassy of Pakistan
3517 International Court, NW
Washington, DC 20008
sal...@embassyofpakistanusa.org